You'll feel on top of the world in this smartly converted Georgian merchant's house, with panoramic views across the city from the back and the delightful Clifton Downs in front.
Up a lavender-lined front path, through a stained glass door, find huge style and comfort, without a whiff of pretension: knobbly oatmeal carpets, wide floorboards, beautiful colours, modern art (including a superb sculpture by Cornish artist Tom Leaper) and a few happily battered antiques. Bedrooms are upstairs or down, all with big beds, deep mattresses, long views, clever panelling and bathrooms you'll want to take home - the top suites with splendid brass baths and Victorian tiling.
Breakfast is fresh and west-country sourced. Go for the Full Monty or smoked salmon and scrambled eggs. Huge fun to watch the skies and have a cream tea or evening drink in the gravelled back terrace, where there are comfortable rattan chairs and sofas among colourful pots of plants from the Scilly Isles (there is a family link). You are within walking distance of good restaurants, pubs and the city centre.
- In town/city centre - Located in Clifton, overlooking the Downs to the front and city to the back.
Children & Infants
- Accept children (Minimum age) - Children aged 12 and over welcome
- Serve breakfast
- Serves Local Food
- All major credit cards accepted
Room / Unit Features
- Electric shaver point
- Free Wi-Fi
- Hairdryer in all bedrooms
- Tea & coffee making facilities in all bedrooms
- Telephone in all bedrooms
- TV in all bedrooms
- Conference facilities - Small meeting room. More details available upon request.
- Garden/patio for guests' use - Outdoor terrace with views across the city
- Licenced for alcohol
- Separate guests' lounge
- Mobile Phone Reception
Travel & Trade
- Wi-fi available
Map & Directions
- Certificate of Excellence 2016
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good36
- vetaylor7Southampton, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesFirst class stayFriday, 24th March 2017Situated opposite the Clifton Downs and only 5 mins walk from the Spire Hospital ideal as our daughter was in there overnight. This hotel is beautifully decorated. Our room was very comfortable... Read full review
- Jordan HTrip Type:CouplesWorth Every PennyMonday, 20th March 2017What a beautiful place! We stayed in room 7, the decor was pure class - perfect for a night away. Everything about the stay was relaxing, especially the option to have breakfast in bed delivered... Read full review
- DisinterestedWinchester, United KingdomTrip Type:BusinessAltogether ExcellentMonday, 20th March 2017A stylish place in an excellent location. The room was great, comfortable and stylish and the staff just right. If I happen to be back in Bristol again, I will definitely stay at Number Thirty Eight... Read full review
Tel: +44 (0)117 946 6905