Backwell House is a beautifully revamped Georgian country house just six miles South West of Bristol, which opened in September 2016. From its mellow stone portico, you'll see only rolling hills, yet the bright lights of the energetic city are a mere 15-minute drive away. Inside the house are nine double ensuite bedrooms, each stylishly and uniquely decorated with antique finds, reclaimed timbers, local artworks and reconditioned vintage bathtubs.
Chef Ross Hunter and his team cook up a storm in the kitchen with a daily changing menu focusing on locally sourced produce with many of the ingredients grown or reared in Backwell House’s own extensive grounds – vegetables and herbs from the Victorian walled garden, eggs from the hotel’s chickens, honey from the beehives and beef from the herd grazing the lush pastures.
The quintessentially English house, built in 1817, is independently owned and run and it feels rather like you’re staying in a friend’s very chic country pad. With oodles of Georgian charm, updated for the 21st century guest, it's the ideal countryside escape for a romantic getaway or an extravagant private party.
- Serve breakfast
- Serve evening meal
- Serve lunch
Children & Infants
- Accept children (Minimum age) - All ages welcome
- Garden/patio for guests' use
- In countryside
Parking & Transport
- On site parking
Travel & Trade
- Wi-fi available
Map & Directions
- Certificate of Excellence 2018
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good22
- jmidavBristol, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesVisit for afternoon tea.Friday, 21st September 2018We visited Thursday for afternoon tea. Staff very friendly and attentive and tea was very delicious and served in a very relaxed dining room. The grounds and surrounding area very spectacular... Read full review
- Ian SMoffat, United KingdomTrip Type:BusinessMixed thoughts - Good but could be great. Not quite there!Sunday, 9th September 2018Booked this hotel after searching all local hotels. I wanted something a little different and relaxing, rather than a big chain closer to the city. I stayed on my own as I had a business meeting the... Read full review
- Coastal441012Trip Type:CouplesSo disappointedTuesday, 4th September 2018My husband had booked this hotel last year to stay in the night before we went away on honeymoon, as avid fans of the ‘pig’ hotels, we which frequently stay in, we thought this was along the same... Read full review
Tel: +44 (0)117 325 1110