Backwell House is a beautifully revamped Georgian country house just six miles South West of Bristol, which opened in September 2016. From its mellow stone portico, you'll see only rolling hills, yet the bright lights of the energetic city are a mere 15-minute drive away. Inside the house are nine double ensuite bedrooms, each stylishly and uniquely decorated with antique finds, reclaimed timbers, local artworks and reconditioned vintage bathtubs.
Chef Ross Hunter and his team cook up a storm in the kitchen with a daily changing menu focusing on locally sourced produce with many of the ingredients grown or reared in Backwell House’s own extensive grounds – vegetables and herbs from the Victorian walled garden, eggs from the hotel’s chickens, honey from the beehives and beef from the herd grazing the lush pastures.
The quintessentially English house, built in 1817, is independently owned and run and it feels rather like you’re staying in a friend’s very chic country pad. With oodles of Georgian charm, updated for the 21st century guest, it's the ideal countryside escape for a romantic getaway or an extravagant private party.
- Serve breakfast
- Serve evening meal
- Serve lunch
Children & Infants
- Accept children (Minimum age) - All ages welcome
- Garden/patio for guests' use
- In countryside
Parking & Transport
- On site parking
Travel & Trade
- Wi-fi available
Map & Directions
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Certificate of Excellence 2018
- Very Good32
- Jonathan FTrip Type:FamilyDon't know why it took me so long to go to Backwell House!Saturday, 20th April 2019We went with family (party of four) on a Friday night for dinner. We wanted a good dining experience within a few miles of home without travelling to Bristol for a change. We arrived on time and... Read full review
- marcus_cNailsea, United KingdomTrip Type:FamilyA big disappointmentFriday, 26th April 2019This was our 2nd visit to Backwell House. The first was very pleasant and the food was good without being exceptional, not something you would tell your friends about but an enjoyable... Read full review
- kentY2562LABristol, United KingdomA lovely afternoon teaTuesday, 7th May 2019We decided to try the afternoon tea at Backwell House and we weren’t disappointed. The tea comprised of sandwiches, cakes, scones and cream, and other sweet things, and was so much that we couldn’t... Read full review
Tel: +44 (0) 1275 794502