Backwell House is a beautifully revamped Georgian country house just six miles South West of Bristol, which opened in September 2016. From its mellow stone portico, you'll see only rolling hills, yet the bright lights of the energetic city are a mere 15-minute drive away. Inside the house are nine double ensuite bedrooms, each stylishly and uniquely decorated with antique finds, reclaimed timbers, local artworks and reconditioned vintage bathtubs.
Chef Ross Hunter and his team cook up a storm in the kitchen with a daily changing menu focusing on locally sourced produce with many of the ingredients grown or reared in Backwell House’s own extensive grounds – vegetables and herbs from the Victorian walled garden, eggs from the hotel’s chickens, honey from the beehives and beef from the herd grazing the lush pastures.
The quintessentially English house, built in 1817, is independently owned and run and it feels rather like you’re staying in a friend’s very chic country pad. With oodles of Georgian charm, updated for the 21st century guest, it's the ideal countryside escape for a romantic getaway or an extravagant private party.
- Serve breakfast
- Serve evening meal
- Serve lunch
Children & Infants
- Accept children (Minimum age) - All ages welcome
- Garden/patio for guests' use
- In countryside
Parking & Transport
- On site parking
Travel & Trade
- Wi-fi available
Map & Directions
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good32
- Tracy TBurley, United KingdomWonderful small country house hotelWednesday, 12th June 2019This is exactly what I was looking for. Unpretentious comfortable accommodation with a great chef and staff who make you feel like you have returned to a familiar place. Nick could not have been more... Read full review
- Stay704029Trip Type:CouplesWedding VenueWednesday, 19th June 2019We would like to thank Sam, Andy & Nikolas for all their hard work and amazing attention to detail for our wedding in June 2019. The sun was shining and Backwell House looked incredible with the... Read full review
- Local2406Bristol, United KingdomBirthday afternoon teaThursday, 27th June 2019Wonderful peaceful place to celebrate being 66. Afternoon tea was just superb. Visited on a quiet day and watched the young calves frolic in the field just beyond the house. Everything was tasty... Read full review
Tel: +44 (0) 1275 794502