Due to COVID-19 restrictions, Number Thirty Eight is temporarily closed. Please check directly on their website and/or social media channels for the latest updates.
You'll feel on top of the world in this smartly converted Georgian merchant's house, with panoramic views across the city from the back and the delightful Clifton Downs in front.
Up a lavender-lined front path, through a stained glass door, find huge style and comfort, without a whiff of pretension: knobbly oatmeal carpets, wide floorboards, beautiful colours, modern art (including a superb sculpture by Cornish artist Tom Leaper) and a few happily battered antiques. Bedrooms are upstairs or down, all with big beds, deep mattresses, long views, clever panelling and bathrooms you'll want to take home - the top suites with splendid brass baths and Victorian tiling.
Breakfast is fresh and west-country sourced. Go for the Full Monty or smoked salmon and scrambled eggs. Huge fun to watch the skies and have a cream tea or evening drink in the gravelled back terrace, where there are comfortable rattan chairs and sofas among colourful pots of plants from the Scilly Isles (there is a family link). You are within walking distance of good restaurants, pubs and the city centre.
|Open (1 Jan 2021 - 31 Dec 2021)|
The above times should be used as an indicator during the recovery phase from the global pandemic.
Please double-check details by visiting the website via the link above before you visit
- Serve breakfast
- Serves Local Food
Children & Infants
- Accept children (Minimum age) - Children aged 12 and over welcome
- Conference facilities - Small meeting room. More details available upon request.
- Garden/patio for guests' use - Outdoor terrace with views across the city
- Separate guests' lounge
- In town/city centre - Located in Clifton, overlooking the Downs to the front and city to the back.
Room / Unit Features
- Free Wi-Fi
- Hairdryer in all bedrooms
- Tea & coffee making facilities in all bedrooms
- Telephone in all bedrooms
- TV in all bedrooms
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Travelers Choice 2021
- Very Good49
- DouglasC803Bowdon, United KingdomThey have got it just rightThursday, 23rd September 2021Billed as a boutique guest house, it more than lives up to its billing. The rooms are eclectic and of a high standard of furnishing. We selected room 12 when we made the reservation and it was very... Read full review
- cliff70hertfordshireTrip Type:CouplesExcellent qualityMonday, 27th September 2021We had a very warm welcome at No.38. Our room was cosy with a great bathroom and view over the city, All things to make your stay comfy were in place - mini bar, slippers, gowns, great toiletries... Read full review
- garygotekTrip Type:CouplesLovely stay, great serviceFriday, 1st October 2021Naz checked us in and out, he was friendly, welcoming and professional - a rare mix and an excellent member of staff. The room was spotless and roomy enough, it also had character. Very very good... Read full review