Due to COVID-19 restrictions, Number Thirty Eight is temporarily closed. Please check directly on their website and/or social media channels for the latest updates.
You'll feel on top of the world in this smartly converted Georgian merchant's house, with panoramic views across the city from the back and the delightful Clifton Downs in front.
Up a lavender-lined front path, through a stained glass door, find huge style and comfort, without a whiff of pretension: knobbly oatmeal carpets, wide floorboards, beautiful colours, modern art (including a superb sculpture by Cornish artist Tom Leaper) and a few happily battered antiques. Bedrooms are upstairs or down, all with big beds, deep mattresses, long views, clever panelling and bathrooms you'll want to take home - the top suites with splendid brass baths and Victorian tiling.
Breakfast is fresh and west-country sourced. Go for the Full Monty or smoked salmon and scrambled eggs. Huge fun to watch the skies and have a cream tea or evening drink in the gravelled back terrace, where there are comfortable rattan chairs and sofas among colourful pots of plants from the Scilly Isles (there is a family link). You are within walking distance of good restaurants, pubs and the city centre.
|Open (1 Jan 2021 - 31 Dec 2021)|
The above times should be used as an indicator during the recovery phase from the global pandemic.
Please double-check details by visiting the website via the link above before you visit
- Serve breakfast
- Serves Local Food
Children & Infants
- Accept children (Minimum age) - Children aged 12 and over welcome
- Conference facilities - Small meeting room. More details available upon request.
- Garden/patio for guests' use - Outdoor terrace with views across the city
- Separate guests' lounge
- In town/city centre - Located in Clifton, overlooking the Downs to the front and city to the back.
Room / Unit Features
- Free Wi-Fi
- Hairdryer in all bedrooms
- Tea & coffee making facilities in all bedrooms
- Telephone in all bedrooms
- TV in all bedrooms
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Travelers Choice 2021
- Very Good48
- FrizzlysFamilyColchester, United KingdomExcellent StayThursday, 22nd July 2021My wife and I have just returned from a two night stay at the hotel and had an excellent stay. The location of the B&B was perfect for us and parking in the road easy. The public areas and our room... Read full review
- Bigal57Yell, United KingdomGorgeous place.Friday, 23rd July 2021This is a very lovely boutique townhouse. Our room, number 7, is very large, with a huge, beautiful bathroom, looking down on the hill going down Whiteladies Road. It is very well equipped, with a... Read full review
- didarbyAmport, United KingdomGreat spot, great accommodation, great staffMonday, 2nd August 2021Lovely boutique hotel that does just what is asked of it. Stylish with friendly and helpful staff. Suited us down to the ground!! Room furnished to a high standard, breakfast very good too. Would... Read full review