You'll feel on top of the world in this smartly converted Georgian merchant's house, with panoramic views across the city from the back and the delightful Clifton Downs in front.
Up a lavender-lined front path, through a stained glass door, find huge style and comfort, without a whiff of pretension: knobbly oatmeal carpets, wide floorboards, beautiful colours, modern art (including a superb sculpture by Cornish artist Tom Leaper) and a few happily battered antiques. Bedrooms are upstairs or down, all with big beds, deep mattresses, long views, clever panelling and bathrooms you'll want to take home - the top suites with splendid brass baths and Victorian tiling.
Breakfast is fresh and west-country sourced. Go for the Full Monty or smoked salmon and scrambled eggs. Huge fun to watch the skies and have a cream tea or evening drink in the gravelled back terrace, where there are comfortable rattan chairs and sofas among colourful pots of plants from the Scilly Isles (there is a family link). You are within walking distance of good restaurants, pubs and the city centre.
|Open (1 Jan 2020 - 31 Dec 2020)|
- Serve breakfast
- Serves Local Food
Children & Infants
- Accept children (Minimum age) - Children aged 12 and over welcome
- Conference facilities - Small meeting room. More details available upon request.
- Garden/patio for guests' use - Outdoor terrace with views across the city
- Separate guests' lounge
- In town/city centre - Located in Clifton, overlooking the Downs to the front and city to the back.
Room / Unit Features
- Free Wi-Fi
- Hairdryer in all bedrooms
- Tea & coffee making facilities in all bedrooms
- Telephone in all bedrooms
- TV in all bedrooms
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Certificate of Excellence 2019
- Very Good46
- catatoniclady228Cardiff, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesFelt like royaltyTuesday, 17th December 2019Wow. We only stayed one night but it was incredible. Fabulous front of house service both when we checked in and for breakfast the next day. The copper bath in the suite we stayed in was amazing! I... Read full review
- LentilsMumChislehurst, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesGorgeous, low key and understatedly elegantTuesday, 7th January 2020Spent only 1 night at No 38 and wish we’d stayed longer. Very mellow hotel and really beautifully furnished and equipped. Great breakfast, nice homely vibe, well located and great views even from the... Read full review
- maddyl1964Wokingham, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesWeekend StaySunday, 19th January 2020Great hotel, lovely views and the rooms had everything we needed. The staff were really attentive and couldn’t have been more helpful and the breakfast was fantastic. We were in a group of six and... Read full review