Welcome to SummerHouse Bed and Breakfast in North East Somerset - winner of Bed and Breakfast of the Year in the Bristol, Bath and Somerset Tourism Awards 2016/17.
As soon as you arrive at SummerHouse, you will know it is the perfect B&B for you. They will welcome you to this relaxed and luxurious rural retreat with its magnificent views across the Chew valley to the foothills of the Mendips. This is truly somewhere to unwind after a day out exploring the beautiful Somerset countryside or the architectural glory of Bath or Wells.
When you arrive, you can enjoy homemade cake in your room with a pot of tea or cafetière of coffee, watch buzzards circling over the valley or the green woodpeckers in the garden, chill out in our Summerhouse or take a dip in our luxurious indoor pool. You may wish to plan your stay using our books and maps. In the evening, just sit and enjoy watching out for deer munching on our home grown vegetables.
They currently have three rooms at our B&B; which have been individually designed to ensure that you have a very relaxing and comfortable stay. Both rooms have wonderful views across the valley to the hills.
Their cosy bedrooms reflect the tranquil atmosphere and character of our home. Most rooms have 6ft wide beds or 3ft twins with comfortable mattresses, soft white bed linen and duvets. All rooms have a drinks tray with water glasses, a teapot, a cafetière, two mugs, tea & herbal tea, instant and cafetière coffee, sugar and sweetners. Each room has a freeview flat screen television, two fluffy dressing gowns, free Wi-Fi Internet access and a hairdryer as well as a few books. The rooms are warm and pampering.
All rooms have a tiled bathroom with a good powerful shower. They have heated towel rails, plenty of fluffy towels (hand, bath and bath sheet), environmentally friendly luxury toiletries including soap, shampoo, conditioner, shower and bath gel, handwash, cotton wool, face cloths. Two bathrooms are fully en-suite, the other is next door to the bedroom and fully private.
Should you require an iron and an ironing board or if you have forgotten some vital item, ask Magda and she will do her best to help you.
SummerHouse is a converted stables. Whilst this gives great charm, there are several low beams up stairs – tall guests beware.
Breakfast, served from 8.30 till 10.00, showcases delicious locally smoked salmon, the finest local sausages and bacon and our own free range eggs, served in our charming dining room with outstanding views across the Chew Valley. Guests are seated at individual tables, which we can push together for friends eating together.
They don't offer an evening meal but there is great food to be found at both “the Pelly” and “The Bear and Swan” only 4 minutes drive away in Chew Magna; if you are looking for gourmet dining, then the Michelin starred “Pony and Trap” is within 4 miles but you will need to make a reservation well in advance for this (Tel. No. 01275 332627).
However if you prefer to stay in they can leave a supper platter in the dining room fridge, along with a tray of plates, cutlery, glasses and condiments. You are welcome to picnic in the garden, eat in the dining room, the summerhouse or your room. From £10 per person they offer assorted platters. (8 hours notice required)
Please also let them know if you're on a special diet and require any particular foods, so they can have them in for your stay. Their milk is semi skimmed and we always serve butter and not margarine.
In the Granary grounds, they have an indoor heated swimming pool (10 meters long), Jacuzzi and steam room, complete with changing room and shower which guests are free to book for use between 8am and 9pm. There is a water-rower which the more athletic of our guests are also free to use.
Centrally situated for visiting Bath, Wells, Bristol, Cheddar Gorge and the Mendip Hills, their B&B is ideal for exploring this beautiful area. There are several walks from the house, including a stiff climb up to the Iron Age Hill fort atop Norton Malreward or a meander down from the footpath at the end of our drive along the Chew Valley to see the Stanton Drew Standing Stones.
Belluton is a hamlet on the B3130 and within easy access to the A37 for travelling to Bristol and Bath which can be both reached within about a 30 minute drive. Chew Valley is unique in the West Country, comprising some 35,000 acres of unspoilt and protected countryside which occupies the middle ground of the Bath, Bristol and Wells triangle. Dominating the south side of the valley are the foothills of the Mendips, an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. The valley contains both the Chew Valley and Blagdon Lakes, notably for their fishing, birdlife, sailing and nature study amenities. The villages in the Valley are all unspoilt and each has its individual charm and character. Only seven miles to the north of the Chew Valley is the City of Bristol, the West Country's financial and business centre, and host of the annual Balloon Fiesta. The World Heritage Site of the City of Bath, unique, stylish, a shopper’s paradise with its Roman origins is less than half an hour’s drive to the East. On the Southern side of the Mendips is the historic City of Wells, England's smallest city, with its ancient Cathedral, Bishop’s Palace and lovely market square with its twice weekly market. Nearby is the new designer outlet at Kilver Court.
The 4 partners, Magda, Piers, Riki and Clive look forward to welcoming you soon for what we hope will be the first of many visits.
Staff are fluent in English and Polish. Sign language interpretation also available.
* Open all year except Christmas day and Boxing day.
- Cater for vegetarians
- Room service
- Serve evening meal - Cold platters
- Serve lunch - Packed lunches
Children & Infants
- Accept children (Minimum age) - 16
- Central heating throughout
- Free car parking
- Garden/patio for guests' use
- Hot Tub/Spa Bath
- Separate guests' lounge
- Swimming Pool
- In countryside
- Non smoking establishment
- Hot Tub
- Indoor pool - and steam room
- Other sporting facilities - Water Rower
Parking & Transport
- Car parking
- Courtesy transport to airport - for a chargeable fee.
- On site parking
- Accept Bank Transfers, Internet Payment or SWIFT/IBAN
- All major credit cards accepted
Room / Unit Features
- CD Player in all bedrooms
- Colour television in all bedrooms
- Digital TV
- DVD Player in all bedrooms
- Free View TV
- Free Wi-Fi
- Ground Floor Bedrooms Available
- Hairdryer in all bedrooms
- Radio in all bedrooms
- Tea & coffee making facilities in all bedrooms
- Honeymoon Breaks
- Mobile Phone Reception
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Certificate of Excellence 2019
- Very Good48
- TravelhaymuhBarcelona, SpainTrip Type:CouplesGreat romantic stayThursday, 5th December 2019I stayed at Summer House with my girlfriend - The grounds were really lovely and the staff and owners were really welcoming and friendly! the pool and hot tub area was stunning and private access... Read full review
- KTP310Reading, United KingdomTrip Type:FamilyBeautiful place to stayThursday, 5th December 2019We thoroughly enjoyed our one night stay here. Our room (Oaks) was spacious, beautifully furnished and comfortable and our hosts were friendly and welcoming. There are some very thoughtful touches... Read full review
- Tourist783887Trip Type:CouplesShelleyThursday, 5th December 2019Super friendly staff. Extremely clean and well equipped room and bathroom. Lovely fresh breakfast to order. Spa a huge benefit after a long day sight seeing. Stunning views and location. Highly... Read full review