Starting a business, planning and legislation

While plenty of information can be found relating to business start up, in this section we have aimed to offer a series of useful links to websites and documents, relating to the tourism industry where apppropriate,

General Business Start Up has plenty of useful information to consider before starting up a business. Their website has practical advice for businesses including creating your own personal business plan, financial control and employing staff.

Business Plans

Business Plans are essential in the both developing a new business and future planning. A business plan helps to prioritise and allocate resources. There are a number of useful resources available online. offer valuable advice and information and provide examples of business plans and useful resource centres for more information. You may also find this guide on how to write a business plan useful.

Planning, Legislation & Regulation

The following downloads and links on this page can help you find information on recent laws and legislation to help support your business. 

Alcohol and Entertainment Licensing

Licensing Authorities are responsible for licensing the sale and supply of alcohol, the provision of regulated entertainment and the provision of late night refreshment in England and Wales.


Information relating to employment and skills matters can be found on the Business Link website.

Fire Safety Regulations

Fire safety law and guidance documents for businesses can be found on the following websites:

Food Safety Regulations

If you plan to sell food and drink you must be registered with your local authority. Legally you must also comply with the Food Safety Act 1990.

Health and Safety Legislation

Ensure that your business meets the appropriate standards for health and safety for both staff and customers. 

Legislation Compliance Training

There are a number of courses available to train you and your staff in food safety, health and safety and many other courses.  The following links may be of help to training providers:

Planning Applications and Constent

The Planning Portal is the UK Government's online planning and building regulations resource for England and Wales.  It gives advice and services for members of the public, planning professionals and government on planning and building regulations.

As applications will need to be made to your local authority, the following quick links may help you.

Workplace Pensions Glossary

Playing Music - PPL and PRS

If you play recorded music in public areas, you may be legally required to obtain a licence from Phonograph Performance Ltd (PPL) and the Performing Rights Society (PRS For Music). For further information and the cost of obtaining the licences is available using the links below:

TV Licensing

For more information about TV licensing for hotels, bed and breakfast accommodation and self-catering units, visit the TV Licensing website.

The Pink Book Online for Accommodation

For more information and assistance for both serviced and unserviced accommodation, read the Pink Book Online.

Search For Accommodation

Show More Options