The Canteen was established in 2009 to serve people in and around Hamilton House and Stokes Croft, Bristol. Primarily a meeting place, Canteen is a hub for people to make connections, hatch ideas and relax with each other. Open almost everyday of the year and always busy, the Canteen is a place of community and inclusivity.
The bar/restaurant opens at 10am with freshly-roasted coffee, delicious butties, wholesome toasted cereals and stewed fruit. At midday, lunch gets into full swing, serving contemporary fusion food using the best of the region's ingredients. Always changing and always fresh, the menu includes delicious vegan and vegetarian options as well as carefully sourced line-caught fish from Cornwall, locally sourced free-range meat options and their house mussels and homemade bread.
Afternoons seem to lend themselves to relaxed meetings, comings goings and lots of cake. At 5pm, the kitchen opens again for the evening, serving the same delicious menu, perhaps with a new item or two to replace what sold out over lunch. This runs up till 10pm when, 7 nights a week, the finest of local and touring musicians from across all genres of music, take to the stage for a free concert. Things wind down at midnight or 1am on weekends giving us just enough time to get ready and rest before the whole show begins again in the morning.
- Cater for vegetarians
- Serve breakfast
- Serve evening meal
- Serve lunch
- Bristol Pound Accepted
- Live Music
- In town/city centre
- All major credit cards accepted
Map & Directions
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Certificate of Excellence 2019
- Very Good74
- Lausy83Bedford, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesAmazing food!Tuesday, 4th June 2019My partner booked The Canteen as he had been there previously. It's a quirky kind of place, maybe a bit hipster-ish. The tables and chairs are like old school furniture and the overall feel is a bit... Read full review
- LillyGardinerBristol, United KingdomTrip Type:Solo travelFavourite place for studying and soup!Wednesday, 5th June 2019Used to come here on a daily basis, it’s a hip place for students to gather and study. If your not used to stokes Croft and the locals, you won’t enjoy it. You may think the dogs running around and... Read full review
- soyb4boysBristol, United KingdomTrip Type:Friends getawayOne of my fav local plavesMonday, 24th June 2019Visit canteen on a reg and there’s nothing to fault. Affordable lunch and dinner and well nice staff. Come for bevs or to chill and work in the day. Read full review
80 Stokes Croft
Tel: +44 (0)117 923 2017