The Canteen was established in 2009 to serve people in and around Hamilton House and Stokes Croft, Bristol. Primarily a meeting place, Canteen is a hub for people to make connections, hatch ideas and relax with each other. Open almost everyday of the year and always busy, the Canteen is a place of community and inclusivity.
The bar/restaurant opens at 10am with freshly-roasted coffee, delicious butties, wholesome toasted cereals and stewed fruit. At midday, lunch gets into full swing, serving contemporary fusion food using the best of the region's ingredients. Always changing and always fresh, the menu includes delicious vegan and vegetarian options as well as carefully sourced line-caught fish from Cornwall, locally sourced free-range meat options and their house mussels and homemade bread.
Afternoons seem to lend themselves to relaxed meetings, comings goings and lots of cake. At 5pm, the kitchen opens again for the evening, serving the same delicious menu, perhaps with a new item or two to replace what sold out over lunch. This runs up till 10pm when, 7 nights a week, the finest of local and touring musicians from across all genres of music, take to the stage for a free concert. Things wind down at midnight or 1am on weekends giving us just enough time to get ready and rest before the whole show begins again in the morning.
- Cater for vegetarians
- Serve breakfast
- Serve evening meal
- Serve lunch
- Bristol Pound Accepted
- Live Music
- In town/city centre
- All major credit cards accepted
Map & Directions
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Certificate of Excellence 2019
- Very Good75
- NaimahCallachandLondon, United KingdomTrip Type:Friends getawayLive musicSunday, 25th August 2019Quite a cool venue for some live music - felt a bit student union-esque but it was good nonetheless. Drinks were reasonably priced. Funny quirky vending machine with silly socks too. Although we had... Read full review
- Yvonne PCologne, GermanyTrendy with lots of different, interesting beverages!Tuesday, 3rd September 2019Great to have a one place with so many different beers. Live music in the evenings, seems to be a trendy area. Solid food, menu changes. They offer your standard burger but also vegan and vegetarian... Read full review
- Boston137Trip Type:Friends getawayAvoid like the plague - overpriced and pretentiousThursday, 12th September 2019TERRIBLE EXPERIENCE - I was served a drink (a house rum and coke), the server, upon handing me my change, knocked my drink over. Then made a huge fuss over this. She ‘offered’ me a replacement drink... Read full review
80 Stokes Croft
Tel: +44 (0)117 923 2017