The American Museum & Gardens takes you on a journey through the history of America, from its early settlers to the twentieth century. With its remarkable collection of folk and decorative arts, the Museum shows the diverse and complex nature of American traditions. The only museum of Americana outside the United States, it was founded to bring American history and cultures to the people of Britain and Europe.
The permanent collection includes more than two hundred historic American quilts, exceptional pieces of Shaker furniture, Native American objects, and two hundred historical maps of the New World starting from the twelfth century and stretching through the Renaissance. The museum also has the most significant collection of American folk art in Europe. Visitors can also explore the extensive grounds, which include an arboretum of American trees.
Dogs are welcome in the Gardens and Grounds, on a lead though please.
Museum, Exhibition & Gardens
Adults - £14.50 (with gift aid), £13 (without gift aid)
Children (5-18yrs) - £8.50 (with gift aid), £7.00 (without gift aid)
Family ticket - £37.50 (with gift aid), £33.00 (without gift aid)
Adults - £9 (with gift aid), £7.50 (without gift aid)
Children (5-18yrs) - £6.50 (with gift aid), £5 (without gift aid)
Family ticket - £24.50 (with gift aid), £20.00 (without gift aid)
- American Museum in Britain
|Open (17 Mar 2020 - 28 Oct 2020)|
* Main Season opening times
Tues-Sun 10.00am – 5.00pm. Last admission at 4.00pm
Closed Mondays except during August and Bank Holidays.
- Toilets for Disabled Visitors - An accessible toilet is located in the Gallery Shop. There is also an accessible toilet in the Coach House which is open on event days.
Children & Infants
- Accept Children Over 3
- Conference facilities
- On-site Restaurant/Cafe
- Wedding Venue
- In countryside
Parking & Transport
- Parking (free)
Tours and Demonstrations
- Educational Visits Accepted
- Guided Tours Available for Groups
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good219
- woodsavonviewBath, United KingdomHouse Decked for ChristmasSunday, 1st December 2019The American Museum have dressed the house as if it was the night before Christmas. It will appeal to children with lots for them to do such as making garlands and decorations, seeing Santa's... Read full review
- HalfandHafTrowbridge, United KingdomTrip Type:Friends getawayChristmas Colour!Tuesday, 3rd December 2019Loving the colourful displays, especially the children's 'Night Before Christmas' room! Clearly a lot of work by the volunteers - well done! Read full review
- Mary HBristol, England, United KingdomSo specialFriday, 6th December 2019Christmas and American history, a delightful experience, completed by 'the night before Christmas' layout. Such helpful staff, great layout, lovely cafe, with home made delights, all such good value... Read full review