The American Museum & Gardens takes you on a journey through the history of America, from its early settlers to the twentieth century. With its remarkable collection of folk and decorative arts, the Museum shows the diverse and complex nature of American traditions. The only museum of Americana outside the United States, it was founded to bring American history and cultures to the people of Britain and Europe.
The permanent collection includes more than two hundred historic American quilts, exceptional pieces of Shaker furniture, Native American objects, and two hundred historical maps of the New World starting from the twelfth century and stretching through the Renaissance. The museum also has the most significant collection of American folk art in Europe. Visitors can also explore the extensive grounds, which include an arboretum of American trees.
Dogs are welcome in the Gardens and Grounds, on a lead though please.
Museum, Exhibition & Gardens
Adults - £14.50 (with gift aid), £13 (without gift aid)
Children (5-18yrs) - £8.50 (with gift aid), £7.00 (without gift aid)
Family ticket - £37.50 (with gift aid), £33.00 (without gift aid)
Adults - £9 (with gift aid), £7.50 (without gift aid)
Children (5-18yrs) - £6.50 (with gift aid), £5 (without gift aid)
Family ticket - £24.50 (with gift aid), £20.00 (without gift aid)
- Toilets for Disabled Visitors - An accessible toilet is located in the Gallery Shop. There is also an accessible toilet in the Coach House which is open on event days.
Children & Infants
- Accept Children Over 3
- Conference facilities
- On-site Restaurant/Cafe
- Wedding Venue
- In countryside
Parking & Transport
- Parking (free)
Tours and Demonstrations
- Educational Visits Accepted
- Guided Tours Available for Groups
- American Museum in Britain
Map & Directions
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good211
- KarenHornCumbria, United KingdomGreat place to visit!Saturday, 31st August 2019Haven't visited this museum for years until a couple of weeks ago. I went for the Kaffe Fassett Quilt Exhibition which was fantastic! I also walked around the whole museum and gardens. Fabulous! So... Read full review
- MRSJEANJAXBath, United Kingdomone visit isnt enough to see everythingWednesday, 4th September 2019I have visited this local museum several times. its a fabulous day out. plenty to see, do and relax. The grounds are beautifully maintained and create a calm ambience in which a picnic lunch can be... Read full review
- MarmaladeSandwichBristol, United KingdomSo good, we came for second helpingsMonday, 9th September 2019Still plenty to see in the house on our second visit, this time with teens. They took plenty time to read and understand its excellent history of the native americans and spread of settlers from... Read full review
Tel: +44 (0)1225 460503
|Open (17 Mar 2019 - 28 Oct 2019)|
* Main Season opening times
Tues-Sun 10.00am – 5.00pm. Last admission at 4.00pm
Closed Mondays except during August and Bank Holidays.