American Museum & Gardens plan to re-open their gardens, grounds and new children's play area to visitors on 13 March 2021, subject to Government restrictions. Please check website and social media feeds for full details of how to book.
The American Museum provides a fabulous day out for all adults and children.
The New American Garden, Mount Vernon Garden, and play area “The Children’s Garden” awaits explorers of all ages. From winding paths and colourful flowers to woodland wanders with your four-legged friends (yes, dogs on leads are welcome!) and climbing adventures, there is something for everyone to enjoy.
Housed in a fine Georgian manor house with outstanding views over the Limpley Stoke Valley, on the edge of Bath, the American Museum takes you on a journey through American history, with its remarkable collection of folk, decorative arts and cultural objects. The only museum of Americana outside of the United States, it was founded to bring American history and cultures to the people of Britain and Europe.
Each year, special temporary exhibitions are on display in their Exhibition Gallery, and throughout the year there are a range of exciting events planned, including traditional outdoor performances, and family and children’s activities. Just see the what’s on section of their website for more details.
The gardens and facilities are designed to be accessible for buggies and wheelchairs. Baby-changing facilities are situated in the Gallery Shop. The Garden Café offers refreshments and you’re more than welcome to bring a picnic.
The gardens, children’s play area and café are open Tuesday to Sunday from 10am until 5pm. They are also open on Bank Holiday Mondays and Mondays in late July and August from 10am until 5pm.
At the present time, the Garden café is open for a takeaway service only. The Museum and exhibition rooms remain closed in line with government guidance.
Keep an eye on their website and social media for updates.
The above times should be used as an indicator during the recovery phase from the global pandemic.
Please double-check details by visiting the website via the link above before you visit
- Visit England Quality Assured Visitor Attraction 2019
- TripAdvisor Awards TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence 2018
- TripAdvisor Awards TripAdvisor Travellers Choice Award 2020
- Visit Britain We're Good to Go 2021
- AA Awards AA COVID Confident Scheme 2020
- Regional and Miscellaneous WTTC Safe Travels 2021
- Bristol Tourism & Hospitality Award Bristol, Bath And Somerset - Tourism Awards - Bronze - 2020/21 2021
- Toilets for Disabled Visitors - An accessible toilet is located in the Gallery Shop. There is also an accessible toilet in the Coach House which is open on event days.
Children & Infants
- Accept Children Over 3
- Conference facilities
- On-site Restaurant/Cafe
- Wedding Venue
- In countryside
Parking & Transport
- Parking (free)
Tours and Demonstrations
- Educational Visits Accepted
- Guided Tours Available for Groups
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Travelers Choice 2020
- Very Good222
- ClarkozyBath, United KingdomInspiring insight. Stroll for the soul.Sunday, 15th November 2020Fascinating insight into American history, culture and folk art. And that's just the website as we simply enjoyed a tour of the recent and beautifully redesigned gardens due to the pandemic. A warm... Read full review
- HalfandHafTrowbridge, United KingdomTrip Type:Friends getawayMothers’ Day VisitSunday, 14th March 2021Spent a wonderful Mother’s Day in these unique and magical gardens! There were quite a large number of visitors, but the staff handled the pressure with calm and cordiality. And the free scone was... Read full review
- janicehughes4Cardiff, United KingdomTrip Type:FamilyLovely garden and beautiful viewsSaturday, 24th April 2021We used the gardens as a place to meet my family after a long lockdown. We were a mixed group of grandparents, parents and our teenage son. It was ideal as a place to enjoy the views and sit chatting... Read full review