Discover a placing teaming with amazing wildlife, panoramic views and the sounds of the reeds swaying in the wind at Ham Wall. You might be lucky enough to see or hear secretive bitterns, stunning great white egrets, elusive otters, swimming water voles, chorusing Iberian water frogs, hunting barn owls or skittish roe deer which all call this place home. Discover the sights and sounds of this magical wetland, created by the RSPB when peat extraction ended on this site. Enjoy the stunning views across the marshes to Glastonbury Tor and follow secluded paths through the mystical landscape.
Each season brings a different experience in spring bird song fills the air and fledglings can be seen making their first hop, flit and fly into the world while in late autumn and winter at dusk the sky is filled with swirling masses of birds feeding or coming into roost in the reeds until dawn when they erupt out of the reeds – an experience not to be missed! Icy weather in the winter can be the best time to see otters as they frolic and skid across the ice. Ham Wall provides an unforgettable day out for the whole family no matter the season.
Check out their range of regular events for new days to discover the reserve and all of the amazing wildlife that makes it home here. Events include special canoe safaris, spooky Halloween trails, guided walks and a summer holiday club.
A small Welcome Building providing information and selling a limited selection of take-away hot and cold drinks, brownies and flapjacks, is open most weekdays and every weekend from 10am – 4pm.
All the birds, animals and this amazing landscape is here because the RSPB and its partners are giving nature a home in this special place.
The RSPB is a charity and we rely on support from people like you.
- Parking Areas for Disabled Visitors
- Ramp/Level Access
- Toilets for Disabled Visitors
- On-Site café/restaurant - Welcome Building selling take away teas, coffee, hot chocolate, water, fruit juice, brownies and flapjacks.
- In countryside
Parking & Transport
- On site parking - 150 spaces. Parking charges apply. Free for RSPB members and Blue Badge Holders otherwise £1.50 for up to two hours, £3 for more than 2 hours.
Tours and Demonstrations
- Educational Visits Accepted
- Guided Tours Available for Groups
Map & Directions
- Certificate of Excellence 2018
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good35
- Bob EWarminster, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesAfternoon visit to Ham WallWednesday, 5th September 2018After having had a meal in nearby Glastonbury, my wife and I decided to visit Ham Wall. Slightly disappointed with the lack of wildlife there - perhaps we chose the wrong time of day to go. Saw a... Read full review
- Fargo2016Greater London, United KingdomTrip Type:Friends getawayVery good bird watching and lovely walksSaturday, 15th September 2018First time visit. RSPB Ham Wall part of the “Somerset Levels” reserves (about 5 in all managed by RSPB, Somerset Wildlife Trust, etc). Good parking, limited facilities (but you can get a coffee and... Read full review
- TbirdtriumphsGlastonbury, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesRSPBSunday, 16th September 2018My wife and I visited here with our pet dogs - it’s a beautiful nature walk with a stream running along the pathway- the only negative part was that the dogs had to be kept on their leads Read full review
Tel: +44 (0)1458 860 494
|Open (1 Jan 2018 - 31 Dec 2018)|
* Car Park and Toilets are open
1st February - 31st March -06.00 to 20.00
1st April - 30th September- 06.00 to 22.00
1st October - 31st January – 06.00 to 18.30
An alternative car park managed by Natural England at Ashcott Corner is open outside of these times.
Small Welcome Building selling limited selection of hot and cold drinks, brownies and flapjacks open most weekdays and every weekend from 10am – 4pm.