Please note, the Royal Mint Experience is currently closed due to the local lockdown enforced in the Rhondda Cynon Taff area.
Unlock 1,100 years of history at The Royal Mint Experience. Explore the fascinating coin making process from preparing blank metal discs to striking your very own coin. A little bit of detail about the factory tour - their presses strike around 750 coins a minute-faster than the eye can see! Guests can begin their coin collection by taking home a special coin that they helped to make. With one strike your blank disc becomes a UK coin. The coin being struck changes at different periods throughout the year.
Explore their six different exhibition areas at your own pace. These areas are home to some of the most important historical artefacts in the 1,100-year history of The Royal Mint. Some coins and items here are amongst the rarest in the world, get up close and personal to a 1,100 year-old Alfred the Great penny which represents the start of The Royal Mint’s long history and admire the gold sovereign which has become one of the most famous coins in the world. As the world’s largest exporting mint, they make coins for dozens of nations each year. Explore their display of coins from 80 different countries.
A series of events are hosted throughout the year, including workshops during the school holidays, talk series, outdoor cinemas and lots more! The on-site gift shop is perfect if choosing to take home a souvenir, starting a coin collection or searching for a present for a special occasion
Temporary exhibitions complement the permanent collection. Their newest exhibition explores hidden stories of how money and gold have been used in covert operations and life threating missions. Rarely seen objects are on display and you can test your skills as a master code breaker with our interactive exhibits- and don’t miss the opportunity to lift a 400oz Gold Bar worth around £400,000! – The only place in Wales where this can be done!
Introducing VIP Tours - an exclusive opportunity to go behind the scenes and see more of what The Royal Mint has to offer. Get up close to the team on the coin press floor, experience history not on display and explore the tools used to create the coins.
Guests in a group of 10 or more can benefit from their brand new group discounts, with savings of up to 40% depending on your group size.
They are only one hour's drive from Bristol, and just four miles from junction 34, M4. A visitor car park is available, free of charge to all customers.
The experience is open Thursday-Sunday from 09:30 until 17:30 with tours running every 30 minutes from 10am until 4pm. To book please call them on 0333 241 2223 or visit their website.
The Royal Mint Experience offer preferential group rates for 10 or more, discounted prices for pre-booked afternoon tea’s and meals, plus discounted prices at nearby accommodation. Bespoke packages are available to customise your visit, find out more here.
|Open (1 Jan 2020 - 31 Dec 2020)|
* Closed Christmas Day and Boxing Day.Dates and times marked with a '*' are provisional and may be subject to change
The above times should be used as an indicator during the recovery phase from the global pandemic.
Please double-check details by visiting the website via the link above before you visit
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Certificate of Excellence 2020
- Very Good343
- kellyn715Trip Type:CouplesOutstandingMonday, 14th September 2020What an amazing time we had, Megan our tour guide was excellent and had so much time for everyone and offered so much information. She also had a lovely smile too. COVID-19 is not an issue and we... Read full review
- davethehLondon, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesMaking moneyThursday, 17th September 2020Booked online for 10am tour, walked up from local Premier Inn (20 mins). Arrived just after 9:30, and was met by a very cheerful security guard, who went through COVID questions and took our... Read full review
- Hantsman99Hampshire, United KingdomAn excellent informative tour of a wonderful British institutionThursday, 17th September 2020This was a worthwhile visit, even though the Covid restrictions inside meant a lot of 2 metre spacing between actual visitors, on the guided tour around. Very informative female took us round... Read full review