Unlock 1,100 years of history at The Royal Mint Experience. Explore the fascinating coin making process from preparing blank metal discs to striking your very own coin. A little bit of detail about the factory tour - their presses strike around 750 coins a minute-faster than the eye can see! Guests can begin their coin collection by taking home a special coin that they helped to make. With one strike your blank disc becomes a UK coin. The coin being struck changes at different periods throughout the year.
Explore their six different exhibition areas at your own pace. These areas are home to some of the most important historical artefacts in the 1,100-year history of The Royal Mint. Some coins and items here are amongst the rarest in the world, get up close and personal to a 1,100 year-old Alfred the Great penny which represents the start of The Royal Mint’s long history and admire the gold sovereign which has become one of the most famous coins in the world. As the world’s largest exporting mint, they make coins for dozens of nations each year. Explore their display of coins from 80 different countries.
New for 2019
VIP Tours - an exclusive opportunity to go behind the scenes and see more of what The Royal Mint has to offer. Get up close to the team on the coin press floor, experience history not on display and explore the tools used to create the coins.
A series of events are hosted throughout the year, including workshops during the school holidays, talk series, outdoor cinema’s and lots more! The on-site gift shop is perfect if choosing to take home a souvenir, starting a coin collection or searching for a present for a special occasion
Guests can lift a 400oz gold bar worth around £400,000! A once in a lifetime opportunity and the only place in Wales where this can be done.
Temporary exhibitions complement the permanent collection. Currently the temporary exhibition is “London to Llantrisant” which explores The Royal Mint over the last 50 years; why it moved from London to Wales, technological developments and the experiences of people who have worked here.
Guests in a group of 10 or more can benefit from their brand new group discounts, with savings of up to 40% depending on your group size.
They are only one hour's drive from Bristol, and just four miles from junction 34, M4. A visitor car park is available, free of charge to all customers.
The experience is open daily from 09:30 until 17:30 with tours running every 30 minutes from 10am until 4pm. To book please call them on 0333 241 2223 or visit their website.
|Open (1 Jan 2020 - 31 Dec 2020)|
* Closed Christmas Day and Boxing Day.Dates and times marked with a '*' are provisional and may be subject to change
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Certificate of Excellence 2019
- Very Good335
- Jord2911York, United KingdomTrip Type:Friends getawayA Coin Collector’s Paradise!Sunday, 26th January 2020Excellent tour, really interesting! The Strike Your Own Coin tops it all off! The tour guide was brilliant, no question was too much trouble. Any coin collector should see this! Read full review
- Joe2393Trip Type:CouplesVery DisappointingSunday, 26th January 2020Bought tickets online that explained you couldn’t book a time slot and to just turn up to have a tour. So made the hour journey to be told that there was no space on any tours that day. Firstly was... Read full review
- 743addysSouthampton, United KingdomTrip Type:FamilyCoin collectors dreamSunday, 26th January 2020Our first visit to the Royal mint . We had a great time . Picked a Sunday so we could do the swap shop . Children striked their own coins . Siobhan our guide was very nice and made sure our children... Read full review