Unlock 1,100 years of history at The Royal Mint Experience. Explore the fascinating coin making process from preparing blank metal discs to striking your very own coin. A little bit of detail about the factory tour - their presses strike around 750 coins a minute-faster than the eye can see! Guests can begin their coin collection by taking home a special coin that they helped to make. With one strike your blank disc becomes a UK coin. The coin being struck changes at different periods throughout the year.
Explore their six different exhibition areas at your own pace. These areas are home to some of the most important historical artefacts in the 1,100-year history of The Royal Mint. Some coins and items here are amongst the rarest in the world, get up close and personal to a 1,100 year-old Alfred the Great penny which represents the start of The Royal Mint’s long history and admire the gold sovereign which has become one of the most famous coins in the world. As the world’s largest exporting mint, they make coins for dozens of nations each year. Explore their display of coins from 80 different countries.
New for 2019
VIP Tours - an exclusive opportunity to go behind the scenes and see more of what The Royal Mint has to offer. Get up close to the team on the coin press floor, experience history not on display and explore the tools used to create the coins.
A series of events are hosted throughout the year, including workshops during the school holidays, talk series, outdoor cinema’s and lots more! The on-site gift shop is perfect if choosing to take home a souvenir, starting a coin collection or searching for a present for a special occasion
Guests can lift a 400oz gold bar worth around £400,000! A once in a lifetime opportunity and the only place in Wales where this can be done.
Temporary exhibitions complement the permanent collection. Currently the temporary exhibition is “London to Llantrisant” which explores The Royal Mint over the last 50 years; why it moved from London to Wales, technological developments and the experiences of people who have worked here.
Guests in a group of 10 or more can benefit from their brand new group discounts, with savings of up to 40% depending on your group size.
They are only one hour's drive from Bristol, and just four miles from junction 34, M4. A visitor car park is available, free of charge to all customers.
The experience is open daily from 09:30 until 17:30 with tours running every 30 minutes from 10am until 4pm. To book please call them on 0333 241 2223 or visit their website.
Map & Directions
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Certificate of Excellence 2019
- Very Good332
- dorothymw2018Welshpool, United KingdomVisit to Royal MintWednesday, 9th October 2019Our welcome was really lovely, it was a pleasure to be greeted by smiling faces. It was a timed entry and our young lady very knowledgeable. And she didn't appear to be reciting what she had learned Read full review
- JPF50Maidstone, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesInterestingFriday, 11th October 2019Visited on a wet Monday. The visit is guided with about 25 visitors in each party. We had Megan as our guide and she was excellent and very knowledgeable about the history and the processes of... Read full review
- Tenor54Bracknell, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesWho knew?!Friday, 11th October 2019Be prepared to be astonished at the intricacies of making what you take for granted - the coins in your pocket. The opportunity to visit the mint and enjoy a guided tour should not be passed on. This... Read full review
Tel: +44 (0)333 241 2223
|Open (1 Jan 2019 - 31 Dec 2019)|
* Closed Christmas Day and Boxing Day.