Situated on the historic Harbourside, M Shed is the history museum of Bristol that tells the story of our city.
The 1950s transit shed, originally called M Shed, on Bristol’s historic wharf has been transformed into a museum. Thought-provoking and fun, M Shed challenges the perceptions of what it has meant to live here over the centuries through the recollections of the people who shaped the city.
M Shed explores the city’s history from prehistoric times to the 21st century. Stories about the city and its people have been discovered through working with experts and communities across the city – a process that will continue for the life of the museum. Rich collections of objects, art and archives also play an important part in bringing those stories to life.
There are also working exhibits on the harbourside including steamboats, trains and cranes as well as a new café that opens out onto a public square on the dockside.
M Shed is a new kind of museum, one that challenges traditional ideas. It works with the people of Bristol to create displays which make everyone want to come and see. It is a living museum, where the stories of the past spark discussions about the future.
M Shed is free to the public. Visit and you can explore over 2000 years of Bristol’s history, access over 150 restored and digitalised films and uncover Bristol’s trading past and its role in the transatlantic slave trade. Explore the city’s war-time experiences, industrial heritage and engineering history. Discover things made in Bristol from its music and art to industry and technology, see over 3000 objects from the city’s museum and archive collections including favourites from the Industrial Museum. Come and enjoy a programme of local, national and international exhibitions.
- Gift Shop
- In town/city centre
- Indoor Attraction
- All Areas Accessible to Disabled Visitors
- Guide Dogs Permitted
- Ramp/Level Access
- Toilets for Disabled Visitors
- On-Site café/restaurant
- Conference facilities
- Dogs Accepted - Guide Dogs only
- Wedding Venue
- Family Fun
- Marketed towards families
- Marketed towards senior citizens
- Marketed towards student/youth
Tours and Demonstrations
- Educational Visits Accepted
- Guided Tours Available for Groups
Map & Directions
- Certificate of Excellence 2016
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good387
- philwright82Clevedon, United KingdomTrip Type:FamilyGreat Free ActivityMonday, 23rd January 2017Have visited a couple of times now and this is a great free experience for adults and kids. Lots to do and very interactive. I think a bit of work needs to be done to get some of exhibits working... Read full review
- Alexjr11Stoke On TrentTrip Type:CouplesGreat Place to visit for the familyFriday, 20th January 2017Lots of fun activities to do as a family or even as a couple. It is free to get in and has lots of history about Bristol. Read full review
- neill AHastings, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesMain museum very local to Bristol.Thursday, 19th January 2017M Shed has many local articles with a few more general items. Of more interest was the "Behind the Scenes" tour of large and many varied items too big for current display pending the availability of... Read full review
Tel: +44 (0)117 352 6600
- Bristol Tourism & Hospitality Award Large Attraction of the Year Winner 2013 2014
|Open (1 Jan 2017 - 31 Dec 2017)|
* Bank Holiday Mondays and Mondays during Bristol school holidays: 10am-5pm.