The Royal West of England Academy (RWA), England’s only regional Royal Academy of Art, is Bristol's finest art gallery. Its magnificent Grade 2* listed building hosts five naturally-lit galleries acclaimed as one of the best exhibition spaces in the country. Its lively programme of exhibitions celebrate the best of historic and contemporary British art, including artists from Turner and Constable to Fedden and Nash, and work by its own Academicians, who include some of the country’s leading artists.
It also stages an annual Open exhibition, which is one of the largest Open Submission exhibitions in the UK and has been a major date in the artistic calendar of the region for over 160 years.
To make your visit complete, the Papadeli café serves delicious snacks and lunches, and there is also a small gift shop.
The RWA is a registered museum, with Queen Elizabeth II as its lead patron. An independent Charity, it receives no major core funding from local or national government, so there is a modest entry charge.
10:00 - 6:00pm Tuesday - Saturday
11:00 - 5:00pm Sunday
Last admission half an hour before closing
- Gift Shop
- Celebrity connection
- Film or TV location
- Indoor Attraction
- Of historic, literary or architectural interest
- Accessible to Wheelchair Users
Children & Infants
- Facilities for children
Parking & Transport
- Car parking
- On Bus Route
- Cater for groups
- Event venue
Map & Directions
- Certificate of Excellence 2016
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good19
- April TTrip Type:Solo travelNice Drawing CollectionThursday, 6th April 2017The exhibition is not large but worth a visit. Drawings from the Royal collection made a surprise to me as an art history student - always fascinating to see different (unexpected) works from... Read full review
- leephilphBristol, United KingdomTrip Type:BusinessRelax and comfortableMonday, 13th March 2017Very relax and quite place for study .love to to visit this place every time.must visit when you are free! Read full review
- H_o_l_l303Canterbury, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesFabulous exhibitionWednesday, 1st March 2017Went to see Strange Worlds: The Vision of Angela Carter, we are big fans so the whole weekend trip from London was planned solely to see the exhibition and it did not disappoint. Fabulously curated... Read full review
Tel: +44 (0)117 973 5129
|Open (1 Jan 2017 - 31 Dec 2017)|
* Last admission half an hour before closing
Closed 25, 26 December & 1 January