Based in Bristol’s floating harbour for much of the year, the Matthew is popular for harbour tours as well as longer sailing trips.
The Matthew is owned by The Matthew of Bristol Trust, and when in Bristol she is moored outside Bristol's M Shed museum. In June 2012 she took part in the Queen's Diamond Jubilee pageant on the River Thames, and returned to Bristol shortly afterwards.
Hop on board
The Matthew has been in Bristol for the majority of the summer, and was, as ever, a star attraction at Bristol's Harbour Festival in July. Ever popular, the Matthew provides an unrivalled platform to view the city from the water. Cruise gently past the ss Great Britain, the old dock cranes and enjoy all the water activity that makes Bristol one of Europe’s most interesting maritime cities. For tickets and dates, contact the Matthew on 0117 927 6868.
About the Matthew
The Matthew is a fabulous and faithful reconstruction of the boat used by John Cabot when he discovered Newfoundland in 1497. The stunning replica was built here in Bristol to mark the 500th anniversary of Cabot's voyage, and upon her completion she set sail to reconstruct Cabot's original journey.
On this historic journey, the Matthew followed the same course to Newfoundland as John Cabot had in 1497, carrying the same number of crew members and taking exactly the same amount of time to complete the crossing. On 24 June 1997 the replica of the Matthew was welcomed into port at Bonavista by Queen Elizabeth II.
Today, when not in Bristol Harbour, the sails are unfurled and the ship continues to explore the exciting wild seas around the British isles and Northern Europe - creating a spectacle wherever she ventures.
Map & Directions
- Certificate of Excellence 2016
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good50
- walker29EnglandTrip Type:Solo travelClosed (27/12/16)Tuesday, 27th December 2016I didn't go to Bristol specifically to visit the Matthew, but nevertheless would have liked to have been able to visit. Guess I better check up on opening hours the next time I plan a visit. It... Read full review
- Christina075London, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesFabulous way to see the centre of BristolThursday, 15th December 2016Very friendly team, chatty and informative. Beautifully maintained boat. highly recommended for all the family. Read full review
- Dominic WSurrey, United KingdomTrip Type:FamilyWorth a visitMonday, 28th November 2016Firstly it is free to go onboard but amazing that they actually went to America in this , quite incredible, I would not feel safe leaving the harbour in it !. The staff on board were very helpful and... Read full review
M Shed, Princes Wharf
26 Meredith Court
Canada Way, Bristol
Tel: +44 (0)117 927 6868
|Open (1 Jan 2017 - 31 Dec 2017)|
* Please see website for details of opening hours and cruises.