At its heart Tyntesfield is a Victorian country house and estate, which serves as a backdrop to the remarkable story of four generations of the Gibbs family. Their tale charts the accumulation of wealth from the guano trade, transformation of a Georgian house to a Victorian Gothic masterpiece and the collection of over 50,000 objects. Their achievements are celebrated through ornate Gothic carvings, flower-filled terraces and an expansive estate amid the Somerset countryside. With each visit you'll experience a new side of Tyntesfield, as they close one door and open another. In 2016 we continue ‘Changing times – Antony Gibbs at Tyntesfield’: an exploration into the life of the second generation of the family who called this special place 'home'.
For young explorers they have three play areas; including a woodland adventure and sculpture trail. Packed activities programme including open air theatre, food and craft markets (first Sunday of each month April to November) and living history.
Eating and shopping: Home Farm visitor centre offers year-round homemade dishes using estate-grown ingredients. Shop with plant sales, second-hand bookshop and small play area. For light bites while exploring, try the Pavilion Café.
Dogs: welcome on two woodland walks, signed (year-round); in formal gardens (November to February).
- Groups Accepted - Essential to prebook.
- In countryside
- Indoor Attraction
- Outdoor Attraction
- Facilities for Hearing Impaired Visitors - Hearing loop and Braille guide available at Visitor Reception.
- Facilities for Visually Impaired Visitors - Touch Map
- Guide Dogs Permitted
- Parking Areas for Disabled Visitors
- Ramp/Level Access
- Toilets for Disabled Visitors
Parking & Transport
- On site parking - Minimum 450m walk to house entrance. Mobility vehicle available.
- On-Site café/restaurant
- Blue Badge Guides admitted free
- Max group size - 53
- Min group size - 15 or 30 if part of a coach booking.
- Special group rates - 15%
- TIC Staff Admitted Free
- Conference facilities
- Dogs Accepted - On woodland walks only
- Event Venue
- Printed Material in Foreign Languages - German, French
- Tea / Coffee Shop
Tours and Demonstrations
- Demonstrations Given
- Educational Visits Accepted
- Guided Tours Available for Groups
- Guided Tours Available for Individuals
- Watch "A very Victorian Christmas Tyntesfield 2014" video
Map & Directions
The Gift Aid admission prices include a 10% voluntary donation. Alternatively, you can choose to pay the standard admission prices which are displayed at the property. Please note admission to the house on weekends and during busy periods is by timed ticket. Please arrive early to avoid disappointment.
National Trust members enjoy free admission to Tyntesfield. If you would like to become a member of the National Trust, please speak to one of our team on the day.
Tel: +44 (0)1275 461900
|Opening (1 Jan 2016 - 31 Dec 2016)|