Westonbirt, The National Arboretum, managed by the Forestry Commission, is one of the finest collections of temperate trees and shrubs in the world.
The 600 acre arboretum is home to 3,000 different species of trees and around 15,000 individual specimens. A place of environmental and historical importance, its Victorian creator Robert Holford was fascinated by rare and beautiful plants and helped finance expeditions to collect specimens from around the world.
Westonbirt is known internationally for its spectacular autumn colour display, but offers an unforgettable day out all year round, from magnificent flowering trees in spring, to sculptural and bright-stemmed specimens in winter.
STIHL Treetop Walkway
Experience a birds-eye view of Westonbirt's wonderful trees on the STIHL Treetop Walkway. 300 metres in length and gradually rising to a height of 13 metres above ground, there's something to see every season from this amazing elevated viewpoint. The main walkway is step-free, making it accessible to those using mobility scooters, wheelchairs, pushchairs and dogs on leads. Access to the walkway is included in admission.
Activities throughout the year
Events, workshops and family activities run throughout the year. Signature events include Treefest in August and the spectacular Enchanted Christmas illuminated trail in November and December.
There are 17 miles of paths throughout the arboretum and dozens of leafy glades with levels of accessibility to suit a range of visitors. Free weekend guided walks led by knowledgeable volunteers are available from Easter to October, and you can fire your children’s imaginations with an adventure into the trees along our play trail.
There are mobility scooters and manual wheelchairs available to borrow (it is advisable to book these in advance), special group rates on request and retail and refreshment opportunities onsite.
Westonbirt has a huge area, Silk Wood, for you and your dog to explore. The Old Arboretum and the Christopher Mitchell Information Centre are dog-free zones.
Summer at Westonbirt
Westonbirt is the perfect place in which to escape from hot weather, green leafy rides and secluded glades providing cool refreshment from the sun.
Over the August Bank Holiday weekend you can enjoy Treefest - watch as carvers take inspiration from nature to create large wooden sculptures, listen to local live music, see traditional woodcraft and woodland skills, meet local food producers and watch live arena demonstrations.
Autumn at Westonbirt
Autumn is a fabulous time of year at Westonbirt and wherever you go, the natural firework display of colours is superb. Pick up your autumn trail map from the Welcome Building to find the best of the season's offering.
A spectacular one mile illuminated trail, highlighting the striking structures of Westonbirt’s trees as they are lit up against the night sky. Crafts, gifts and festive family fun also greet visitors to Westonbirt’s Enchanted Christmas event. The event runs on Friday, Saturday and Sunday evenings from the last weekend in November until the weekend before Christmas.
Tags: Westonbirt Arboretum
- Gift Shop
- Childrens Play Area
- Plant Sales
- Groups Accepted - Please enquire for further details
- Forest Location
- In countryside
- Outdoor Attraction
- Accessible to Wheelchair Users
- All Areas Accessible to Disabled Visitors - Some woodland paths are not suitable for wheelchair users.
- Facilities for the Disabled
- Guide Dogs Permitted
- Parking Areas for Disabled Visitors
- Ramp/Level Access
- Toilets for Disabled Visitors
Children & Infants
- Facilities for children
Parking & Transport
- Car parking
- Coach Parking
- On Bus Route
- On-Site café/restaurant
- Picnic Site
- Approx length of visit - 2.5 hours
- Special group rates
- Available for wedding receptions
- Conference facilities
- Dogs Accepted
- Event venue
- Tea / Coffee Shop
- Wedding Venue
- Family Fun
- Marketed towards families
- Marketed towards senior citizens
Tours and Demonstrations
- Educational Visits Accepted
- Guided Tours Available for Groups
Map & Directions
From Bath take the A4 to the A46, signposted Stroud. Continue for approx. 8 miles and follow brown signs to Westonbirt on the A46.
From Bristol follow signs to the M32, then onto the M4. Leave at junction 18 onto the A46, signposted Stroud. Continue for approx. 6 miles and follow brown signs to Westonbirt on the A46.
From Cirencester take the A419 then the A429 signposted Bath, Chippenham, continue forward on the A433 to Tetbury, take the A46 signposted Bath and follow the brown signs to Westonbirt on the A46.
Public Transport Directions
The nearest train station is Kemble which is located between the towns of Tetbury and Cirencester and is a 15 minute drive from Westonbirt.
For information on train times contact National Rail on 08457 484950. For information on bus times contact Traveline on 0871 2002233.
- Certificate of Excellence 2016
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good443
- SapwoodStroudTrip Type:Friends getawayA beautiful Atmospheric Evening, with some stunning illuminations & beautiful trees.Friday, 2nd December 2016We had a fabulous, wonderful evening!, upon arriving, parking and gaining entrance to the Enchanted Illuminations, the first thing that struck me was how very well organised everything was, 10/10 to... Read full review
- linda mStroud, United KingdomTrip Type:FamilyWestonbirt Enchanted ChristmasFriday, 2nd December 2016This is the second year we have visited the Enchanted evening. Lessons have most definitely been learned from last years problems. The timed entry worked beautifully and meant the route was not... Read full review
- colinsillsPreston, United KingdomTrip Type:Couplesshades of autumn, shafts of lightFriday, 2nd December 2016It is many years since I last visited and was very impressed on how sensitively it has been upgraded. It was a beautiful autumn day (29 Nov) . We had limited time so we made straight for the new to... Read full review
Tel: +44 (0)300 067 4890
|Open (1 Jan 2016 - 31 Dec 2016)|
* Westonbirt is open 364 days of the year for you to enjoy. March - November: 9am - 4.30pm December - February: 9am - 4pm Last admission 4.30pm