Bristol’s beautiful and historic Cathedral is located on College Green in the West End of the city. A church has almost certainly stood on the site for over a thousand years, but it came to prominence in 1140 when Robert Fitzhardinge founded the Abbey of St Augustine. The Chapter House and Abbey Gatehouse remain clear to see, and the other remains are to be found within Bristol Cathedral School.
The eastern end of the Cathedral, especially in the choir, gives Bristol Cathedral a unique place in the development of British and European architecture. The nave, choir and aisles are all the same height, making Bristol Cathedral the major example of a hall church in Great Britain and one of the finest to be found anywhere in the world.
Bristol Cathedral is free to visit and is open to the public 365 days a year - from 8am to 6pm Monday to Saturday and 7.20am to 5pm on Sundays. Guided tours are available on Saturdays, or as arranged directly through the Chapter Clerk.
- Gift Shop
- Groups Accepted
- In town/city centre
- Indoor Attraction
- Of historic, literary or architectural interest
- Accessible to Wheelchair Users
- Guide Dogs Permitted
- Toilets for Disabled Visitors
Parking & Transport
- On Bus Route
- Picnic Site
- Blue Badge Guides admitted free
- Open by appointment outside normal opening times
- Cater for groups
- Conference facilities
- Event Venue
- Tea / Coffee Shop
- Wedding Venue
Tours and Demonstrations
- Educational Visits Accepted
- Guided Tours Available for Groups
- Guided Tours Available for Individuals
Map & Directions
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
Note: Prices are a guide only and may change on a daily basis.
- Certificate of Excellence 2016
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good302
- Berdy2014Camberley, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesWonderful old cathederalMonday, 24th April 2017A fantastic imposing building, some of it built over 800 years ago. Still very much functioning as a working church so if you time your visit right you can take in a service Read full review
- jrdo5959Tamworth, United KingdomTrip Type:Friends getawayA Disappointing Visit to a Magnificent BuildingSunday, 23rd April 2017Being a regular churchgoer, I have a great affinity with places of worship. Whenever I am away from home I try to visit local churches. Over the last few years I have built up a considerable... Read full review
- Heather MBristol, England, United KingdomTrip Type:Friends getawayBeautiful architecture; serene experienceSaturday, 22nd April 2017A most stunning cathedral, with so many smaller chapels to stroll around also. The ceiling is mesmerizing. How did they build that? Read full review
Tel: +44 (0)117 926 4879
|Open (1 Jan 2017 - 31 Dec 2017)|
* The Cathedral is open 365 days each year from 8.00am until after Evensong.