Bristol’s beautiful and historic Cathedral is located on College Green in the West End of the city. A church has almost certainly stood on the site for over a thousand years, but it came to prominence in 1140 when Robert Fitzhardinge founded the Abbey of St Augustine. The Chapter House and Abbey Gatehouse remain clear to see, and the other remains are to be found within Bristol Cathedral School.
The eastern end of the Cathedral, especially in the choir, gives Bristol Cathedral a unique place in the development of British and European architecture. The nave, choir and aisles are all the same height, making Bristol Cathedral the major example of a hall church in Great Britain and one of the finest to be found anywhere in the world.
Bristol Cathedral is free to visit and is open to the public 365 days a year - from 8am to 6pm Monday to Saturday and 7.20am to 5pm on Sundays. Guided tours are available on Saturdays, or as arranged directly through the Chapter Clerk.
- Gift Shop
- Groups Accepted
- In town/city centre
- Indoor Attraction
- Of historic, literary or architectural interest
- Accessible to Wheelchair Users
- Guide Dogs Permitted
- Toilets for Disabled Visitors
Parking & Transport
- On Bus Route
- Picnic Site
- Blue Badge Guides admitted free
- Open by appointment outside normal opening times
- Cater for groups
- Conference facilities
- Event Venue
- Tea / Coffee Shop
- Wedding Venue
Tours and Demonstrations
- Educational Visits Accepted
- Guided Tours Available for Groups
- Guided Tours Available for Individuals
Map & Directions
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
Note: Prices are a guide only and may change on a daily basis.
- Certificate of Excellence 2016
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good292
- pipcantiSydney, AustraliaTrip Type:Solo travelGo early and have the place to yourself.Saturday, 25th March 2017The cathedral is very spectacular from the outside, especially if you can time a visit when the bells are chiming. If you go early in the morning (but after morning prayers at 8:30) you will... Read full review
- carfgamesBristol, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesAwesomeThursday, 23rd March 2017.Recommended for lovers of history. Excellent attention to the public and the tour is easy for all kinds of people. It also has a very good canteen. Read full review
- D ULondon, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesGorgeous, though a bit coldMonday, 20th March 2017The cathedral is without a doubt beautiful, though not in the intimate way of St Mary Redcliffe. Although visitors are provided with a map, there is no information about the highlights marked on it... Read full review
Tel: +44 (0)117 926 4879
|Open (1 Jan 2017 - 31 Dec 2017)|
* The Cathedral is open 365 days each year from 8.00am until after Evensong.