The Church of St Thomas the Martyr is a fine Classical building dating back to 1792-93. It was designed by James Allen and, with its handsome east end fronting onto a busy commercial street, has something of the style and impact of a church in Rome.
James Allen’s design retained the 15th century west tower of the earlier church. There is a fine ring of eight bells, all cast by local founders from the 15th to the 19th century. At the east end is a reredos of 1716 and at the west a gallery of 1728-32, both transferred from the previous church.
On the north of the chancel is a superb 18th century organ case. Some of the other furnishings are 18th century, but most date from the 1896 restoration by H Roumieu Gough. They are excellently designed and all contribute to one of the best interiors in Bristol.
|Open (1 Jan 2020 - 31 Dec 2020)|
* Occasional opening when staff onsite. Please call Ed McGregor in advance of visit on 07872 502 118