Located in the heart of the Cotswolds, Sudeley Castle & Gardens is a much-loved family home as well as a popular visitor attraction with award-winning gardens.
A must-see on any visit to the area, the castle has played an important role in England’s history, boasting royal connections that stretch back over 1,000 years.
Visitors are offered the chance to walk in the footsteps of past kings and queens including Richard III, Henry VIII, Elizabeth I and Lady Jane Grey. It is also the only private castle in England to have a queen buried within its grounds - Katherine Parr, the last of Henry VIII’s six wives. Today visitors can explore the beautiful restored 15th century church where she lies entombed.
Inside, the castle contains many fascinating treasures featured in its ‘Royal Sudeley 1000: Trials, Triumphs and Treasures’ exhibition showcasing a collection of artefacts and works of art of great historical importance including Katherine Parr’s love letters, lacework reputedly made by Anne Boleyn, bed hangings made for Marie Antoinette and Charles I’s personal beer jugs.
Sudeley Castle’s magnificent gardens are world-renowned, providing variety and colour throughout the seasons. The centrepiece is the Queens Garden, so named because four of England’s queens – Anne Boleyn, Katherine Parr, Lady Jane Grey and Elizabeth I – once admired the hundreds of varieties of roses found in the garden.
The castle also features a rare-breed pheasantry which houses a collection of 16 rare and endangered species of birds from around the world as part of Sudeley’s programme of breeding and conservation.
The whole family can explore the castle’s fascinating past and enjoy a host of exciting events throughout the year. Children will love a visit to the famed Adventure Playground, voted ‘Best Children’s Playground in Gloucestershire’. Children can scale the wooden fun fort, whizz on the zip wire and tackle the 10-piece assault course.
Visitors can refuel with a visit to the Terrace Restaurant, located within the Banqueting Hall to indulge in a locally sourced, seasonal menu. Pre-book an afternoon tea to complete the perfect Cotswolds day out.
- Knight School
|Open (1 Jan 2019 - 31 Dec 2019)|
* Daily until 21 December 2018. 2019 season starts 4 March.
10am – 5pm. Closing from 4pm on 29 October until 21 December.
Last admission one hour before closing.
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Certificate of Excellence 2019
- Very Good537
- travelchick52Maidenhead, BerkshireAmazing!Saturday, 23rd November 2019Well, we learnt so much in Sudeley Castle, so much to see and learn, great place! Great guides and lovely place would recommend. Read full review
- Y1622FZadamjSpectacular - Spectacle of Lights 2019 - BRILLIANT!Sunday, 1st December 2019As first-timers to this event last night - just wanted to share really how great it was. A wonderful treat for the whole family & truly magical experience for your little ones. The Peter-Pan theme... Read full review
- stockportladystockportFestival of LightThursday, 5th December 2019Went to this event a few years ago, and thought it lovely, but wow it was staggeringly beautiful this year- please go! Read full review