Located in the heart of the Cotswolds, Sudeley Castle & Gardens is a much-loved family home as well as a popular visitor attraction with award-winning gardens.
A must-see on any visit to the area, the castle has played an important role in England’s history, boasting royal connections that stretch back over 1,000 years.
Visitors are offered the chance to walk in the footsteps of past kings and queens including Richard III, Henry VIII, Elizabeth I and Lady Jane Grey. It is also the only private castle in England to have a queen buried within its grounds - Katherine Parr, the last of Henry VIII’s six wives. Today visitors can explore the beautiful restored 15th century church where she lies entombed.
Inside, the castle contains many fascinating treasures featured in its ‘Royal Sudeley 1000: Trials, Triumphs and Treasures’ exhibition showcasing a collection of artefacts and works of art of great historical importance including Katherine Parr’s love letters, lacework reputedly made by Anne Boleyn, bed hangings made for Marie Antoinette and Charles I’s personal beer jugs.
Sudeley Castle’s magnificent gardens are world-renowned, providing variety and colour throughout the seasons. The centrepiece is the Queens Garden, so named because four of England’s queens – Anne Boleyn, Katherine Parr, Lady Jane Grey and Elizabeth I – once admired the hundreds of varieties of roses found in the garden.
The castle also features a rare-breed pheasantry which houses a collection of 16 rare and endangered species of birds from around the world as part of Sudeley’s programme of breeding and conservation.
The whole family can explore the castle’s fascinating past and enjoy a host of exciting events throughout the year. Children will love a visit to the famed Adventure Playground, voted ‘Best Children’s Playground in Gloucestershire’. Children can scale the wooden fun fort, whizz on the zip wire and tackle the 10-piece assault course.
Visitors can refuel with a visit to the Terrace Restaurant, located within the Banqueting Hall to indulge in a locally sourced, seasonal menu. Pre-book an afternoon tea to complete the perfect Cotswolds day out.
- Knight School
Map & Directions
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Certificate of Excellence 2019
- Very Good522
- JoanM655WMGreater Perth, AustraliaNot too goodWednesday, 21st August 2019my sister and I visited Sudeley Castle and found the visit rather disappointing , many of the paths outside the castle were overgrown and quite muddy. The Tudor part of the castle story was very... Read full review
- Zax ZExtraordinary place - very different to the usual stately home/castle/country house...Thursday, 22nd August 2019Just to get the usual stuff out of the way first: easy on-site parking, nicely maintained, excellent catering in a large, airy restaurant, friendly and helpful staff, relatively compact building and... Read full review
- trophyUSAClinton, MississippiexcellentThursday, 22nd August 2019This was an excellent place to visit. Staff very friendly and helpful. The ruins were beautiful and the house was superb. Well worth the time. Would love to go back. Read full review
Tel: +44 (0)1242 604244
|Open (1 Jan 2019 - 31 Dec 2019)|
* Daily until 21 December 2018. 2019 season starts 4 March.
10am – 5pm. Closing from 4pm on 29 October until 21 December.
Last admission one hour before closing.