Thornbury Castle is a beautiful 16th century building, which was once owned by Henry VIII and stands in 15 acres of regal splendour, surrounded by its vineyards and Tudor garden. It is renowned for being one of the finest country house hotels in England. It nestles on the northern edge of Thornbury adjacent to the Gloucestershire countryside, 12 miles north of Bristol, and is well placed for visiting the Cotswolds, the Georgian city of Bath and Wales.
Thornbury Castle has 27 carefully-restored bedchambers, many with sumptuous four-poster beds and splendid stone-carved fireplaces, making your stay just that little bit more special. The Tower bedchamber boasts the largest bed in a hotel in the UK - 10 feet wide.
The restaurant at Thornbury Castle offers plenty of modern, internationally-inspired dishes, as well as some traditional favourites. All dishes on the lunch and dinner menu use only the finest and freshest ingredients, and are sourced locally.
Enjoy a delicious Afternoon Tea in splendid surroundings at Thornbury Castle.
The recipient of many prestigious awards for its fine food, Thornbury Castle has three dining rooms, each baronial in style, with panelled walls, heraldic shields and open fires.
Thornbury Castle enables you to step back in time in this Tudor palace that was once the residence of Henry VIII and his second wife Anne Boleyn. Find out more about Tudor Bristol.
2018 FESTIVE SEASON AT THORNBURY CASTLE
Join Thornbury Castle this festive season and spend Recharger or New Year in an atmospheric Tudor castle in Gloucestershire.
CHRISTMAS AT THORNBURY CASTLE
Stay for an inclusive three or four night Christmas break
Two and three night Recharger package rates are inclusive of breakfast and dinner.
NEW YEAR PACKAGES
Two and three night New Year packages available for you to celebrate the new year in style.
- Number of Rooms / Units
|Room / Unit Type||Room / Unit Tariff*|
|Classic Double Bedchamber||from £195.00 to £295.00 per room (breakfast included)|
|Deluxe Double Bedchamber||from £305.00 to £405.00 per room (breakfast included)|
|Deluxe Suite||from £365.00 to £465.00 per room (breakfast included)|
|Single en suite||£110.00 per room (breakfast included)|
|Tower Suite||from £465.00 to £565.00 per room (breakfast included)|
*As a guide, prices are per room per night for hotels, guest houses, B&Bs and serviced apartments and per week for self-catering accommodation.
Note: Prices are a guide only and may change on a daily basis.
- Additional meal details - Any.
- Cater for vegetarians
- Room service
- Serve breakfast
- Serve evening meal
- Serve lunch
Children & Infants
- Accept children (Minimum age) - Children over 10 years old are welcome
- Available for wedding receptions - Maximum of 100 guests
- Business facilities (eg. Fax/ modem)
- Conference facilities
- Event venue
- Free car parking
- Ironing facilities
- Licenced for civil marriages
- Night porter
- On-site parking or valet parking
- Pets accepted - At a small charge
- Public telephone
- Real log/coal fires
- Country house
- In countryside
- Of historic, literary or architectural interest - Grade I Tudor Castle once owned by Henry VIII.
- French spoken
- German spoken
- Greek spoken
- Hungarian spoken
- Mandarin spoken
- Portuguese spoken
- Romanian spoken
- Spanish spoken
- Access to golf course
- Arrangements for riding/pony trekking
- Spa Treatments
Parking & Transport
- Car parking - Sixty spaces
- All major credit cards accepted
Room / Unit Features
- Four poster beds available
- Free Wi-Fi
- Ground Floor Bedrooms Available
- Hairdryer in all bedrooms
- Radio in all bedrooms
- Tea & coffee making facilities in all bedrooms
- Telephone in all bedrooms
- TV in all bedrooms
Map & Directions
From A38 Follow brown historic signs. At bottom of Thornbury High Street bear left. Castle at bottom of hill. Behind parish church.
Public Transport Directions
From Bristol Parkway - 12 milesTaxi journey of 15 minutes from outside station.
- Certificate of Excellence 2018
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good298
- MnTEngland2018Greater London, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesA beautiful placeFriday, 21st September 2018We stayed in the Deluxe Double room, the entrance to the room was disappointed with white wooden doors, zero castles feel. The room has many beautiful period features with a large relaxing bathroom... Read full review
- Wai-hwoon LVictoria, AustraliaTrip Type:CouplesDid not live up to expectationSaturday, 22nd September 2018The castle and grounds were lovely but the food in the restaurant and at breakfast were below par. Wifi kept dropping in and out and there was no phone service at all. The seats in the armchairs in... Read full review
- cdan2011Driffield, United KingdomTrip Type:CoupleswowMonday, 24th September 2018wow the words from my wife as we drove up the drive into the castle entrance a henry v111 nut we were up graded to the room in the main tower wow yet again very big room with a big stone fire... Read full review
Tel: +44 (0)1454 281 182
- 3 AA Red Stars Country House Hotel
- AA Awards AA - 2 Rosettes 2015
- Bristol Tourism & Hospitality Award Small Hotel of the Year Winner 2013 2014