George Müller cared for 10,000 orphans in Bristol, by faith, he never fundraised or told anyone about his financial needs and received £1.5 million to fund his work in the 1800s. Photographs and artefacts from the Orphan Houses at Ashley Down and the later Scattered Homes set out the incredible history and help to bring the story to life.
Hidden away in Cotham, not far from the city centre, the small one room museum is housed in the charity offices of Müllers, whose history is traced back to their founder George Müller. The legacy of George Müller lives on in Bristol in the large orphanages he built on Ashley Down that still stand, the street named after him, and the work which he started that continues through Müllers today.
Entry to the museum is completely FREE.
They ask visitors to book an appointment to view the museum as large groups or schools visits restrict access to other visitors. They don’t want people to be disappointed when they arrive so please schedule your visit with them in advance.
A visit to the museum usually takes an hour but, if there is not an appointment booked in afterwards, you are welcome to stay as long as you would like!
Children of all ages are welcome at the George Müller museum. With activities that uncover what life would have been like for a Victorian orphan in the New Orphan-Houses. They have original girls’ uniforms to dress up in, a museum to explore hunting for artefacts and a booklet that sets out the incredible story through comics, maps, facts and more!
For schools/group visits:
They are also available for educational visits from schools and other groups. They give an opportunity to hear a short talk on George Müller and then allow the children to look around the museum considering what life would have been like as an Ashley Down orphan in Victorian Bristol.
- Indoor Attraction
Parking & Transport
- On site parking - Yes,they have parking available on site via the entrance on Cotham Park
Tours and Demonstrations
- Educational Visits Accepted
- Guided Tours Available for Groups
Map & Directions
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good5
- csptravellerAmersham, United Kingdomlovely small museumTuesday, 25th September 2018Bristols answer to the Foundling museum - takes less than an hour to go round. I had a nice introduction from a staff member giving me the history of Mr Muller. Interesting memorabilia. Read full review
- csptravellerAmersham, United Kingdomlovely gem to exploreFriday, 30th November 2018lots of interesting items about the man who took an interest in the orphaned children and how the work grew - good to see how he was appreciated Read full review
- ValR345Trip Type:CouplesGreat little museumTuesday, 12th February 2019My husband made an appointment for us to go and it was well worth the visit. The staff were very welcoming and gave us a brief introduction and then brought some of the original books for us to look... Read full review
7 Cotham Park
Tel: +44 (0)117 924 5001
|Open (1 Jan 2019 - 31 Dec 2019)|
* Not open bank holidays and public holidays