Bristol’s beautiful and historic Cathedral is located on College Green in the West End of the city. A church has almost certainly stood on the site for over a thousand years, but it came to prominence in 1140 when Robert Fitzhardinge founded the Abbey of St Augustine. The Chapter House and Abbey Gatehouse remain clear to see, and the other remains are to be found within Bristol Cathedral School.
The eastern end of the Cathedral, especially in the choir, gives Bristol Cathedral a unique place in the development of British and European architecture. The nave, choir and aisles are all the same height, making Bristol Cathedral the major example of a hall church in Great Britain and one of the finest to be found anywhere in the world.
Bristol Cathedral is free to visit and is open to the public 365 days a year - from 8am to 6pm Monday to Saturday and 7.20am to 5pm on Sundays. Guided tours are available on Saturdays, or as arranged directly through the Chapter Clerk.
- Gift Shop
- Accessible to Wheelchair Users
- Guide Dogs Permitted
- Toilets for Disabled Visitors
- Picnic Site
- Cater for groups
- Conference facilities
- Event Venue
- Tea / Coffee Shop
- Wedding Venue
- In town/city centre
- Indoor Attraction
- Of historic, literary or architectural interest
- Open by appointment outside normal opening times
Parking & Transport
- On Bus Route
- Blue Badge Guides admitted free
Tours and Demonstrations
- Educational Visits Accepted
- Guided Tours Available for Groups
- Guided Tours Available for Individuals
- Groups Accepted
Map & Directions
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
Note: Prices are a guide only and may change on a daily basis.
- Certificate of Excellence 2018
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good405
- Keith BPlymouth, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesA good Sunday act of worshipFriday, 1st March 2019We went to the main Sunday service. The singing and the choir were good. The sermon from the minor cannon was uplifting Read full review
- ShelliuChicago, IllinoisTrip Type:FamilyBeautiful medieval churchThursday, 7th March 2019Around since the 12th century, the Bristol Cathedral takes over the skyline and is full of history. Admission is free and you can attend worship services, if interested. Read full review
- jimmackmanFareham, United KingdomTrip Type:Friends getawayLovely Cathedral very friendly volunteersTuesday, 19th March 2019We visited this week end and spent a lovely hour walking around. The architecture is amazing Lovely peaceful place Read full review
Tel: +44 (0)117 926 4879
|Open (1 Jan 2019 - 31 Dec 2019)|
* The Cathedral is open 365 days each year from 8.00am until after Evensong.