Bristol’s beautiful and historic Cathedral is located on College Green in the West End of the city. A church has almost certainly stood on the site for over a thousand years, but it came to prominence in 1140 when Robert Fitzhardinge founded the Abbey of St Augustine. The Chapter House and Abbey Gatehouse remain clear to see, and the other remains are to be found within Bristol Cathedral School.
The eastern end of the Cathedral, especially in the choir, gives Bristol Cathedral a unique place in the development of British and European architecture. The nave, choir and aisles are all the same height, making Bristol Cathedral the major example of a hall church in Great Britain and one of the finest to be found anywhere in the world.
Bristol Cathedral is free to visit and is open to the public 365 days a year - from 8am to 6pm Monday to Saturday and 7.20am to 5pm on Sundays. Guided tours are available on Saturdays, or as arranged directly through the Chapter Clerk.
- Gift Shop
- Accessible to Wheelchair Users
- Guide Dogs Permitted
- Toilets for Disabled Visitors
- Picnic Site
- Cater for groups
- Conference facilities
- Event Venue
- Tea / Coffee Shop
- Wedding Venue
- In town/city centre
- Indoor Attraction
- Of historic, literary or architectural interest
- Open by appointment outside normal opening times
Parking & Transport
- On Bus Route
- Blue Badge Guides admitted free
Tours and Demonstrations
- Educational Visits Accepted
- Guided Tours Available for Groups
- Guided Tours Available for Individuals
- Groups Accepted
Map & Directions
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
Note: Prices are a guide only and may change on a daily basis.
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Certificate of Excellence 2019
- Very Good419
- 873stephanietLondon, United KingdomTrip Type:Solo travelBeautifulTuesday, 9th July 2019Truly beautiful cathedral , stunning and big. Unfortunately you cannot use your camera or take pictures but worth visiting, and if you like choir it worth a visit Read full review
- Oot-n-Aboot-CrafterNewcastle upon Tyne, United KingdomTrip Type:FamilyQuiet place in the heart of the cityWednesday, 10th July 2019I love old architecture, so visiting the Cathedral was on my list of sights to see in Bristol. The architecture is stunning! It is a well maintained building, a must see. Read full review
- 10OrchardWorcester, United KingdomTrip Type:FamilyBeautiful Cathedral on College GreenSaturday, 20th July 2019The cathedral is one of the lightest, airiest buildings I have visited. The light coloured stone ceiling reflects the sunlight and looks golden.The bosses in the nave are stunning. Search out the... Read full review
Tel: +44 (0)117 926 4879
|Open (1 Jan 2019 - 31 Dec 2019)|
* The Cathedral is open 365 days each year from 8.00am until after Evensong.