Bristol’s beautiful and historic Cathedral is located on College Green in the West End of the city. A church has almost certainly stood on the site for over a thousand years, but it came to prominence in 1140 when Robert Fitzhardinge founded the Abbey of St Augustine. The Chapter House and Abbey Gatehouse remain clear to see, and the other remains are to be found within Bristol Cathedral School.
The eastern end of the Cathedral, especially in the choir, gives Bristol Cathedral a unique place in the development of British and European architecture. The nave, choir and aisles are all the same height, making Bristol Cathedral the major example of a hall church in Great Britain and one of the finest to be found anywhere in the world.
Bristol Cathedral is free to visit and is open to the public 365 days a year - from 8am to 6pm Monday to Saturday and 7.20am to 5pm on Sundays. Guided tours are available on Saturdays, or as arranged directly through the Chapter Clerk.
- Gift Shop
- Accessible to Wheelchair Users
- Guide Dogs Permitted
- Toilets for Disabled Visitors
- Picnic Site
- Cater for groups
- Conference facilities
- Event Venue
- Tea / Coffee Shop
- Wedding Venue
- In town/city centre
- Indoor Attraction
- Of historic, literary or architectural interest
- Open by appointment outside normal opening times
Parking & Transport
- On Bus Route
- Blue Badge Guides admitted free
Tours and Demonstrations
- Educational Visits Accepted
- Guided Tours Available for Groups
- Guided Tours Available for Individuals
- Groups Accepted
Map & Directions
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
Note: Prices are a guide only and may change on a daily basis.
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Certificate of Excellence 2019
- Very Good414
- william2kblueTrip Type:Solo travelbit of peaceMonday, 20th May 2019a quiet moment in the city, interesting stained glass as most of the glass got damaged in the war. walkable from the city Read full review
- _catwomanbs10Bristol, United KingdomTrip Type:FamilyQuiet momentsTuesday, 21st May 2019I go there often. Just to reflect and think . The history and carvings are very beautiful. A very good tourist visit. Read full review
- davecmh2016Herne Bay, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesAnother Cathedral off the list.Wednesday, 22nd May 2019I enjoyed my visit, but it is not one of the better cathedrals in my estimation. Apart from one stain glass window which was exceptional, I thought the stain glass was very ordinary. There was school... Read full review
Tel: +44 (0)117 926 4879
|Open (1 Jan 2019 - 31 Dec 2019)|
* The Cathedral is open 365 days each year from 8.00am until after Evensong.