Bristol’s beautiful and historic Cathedral is located on College Green in the West End of the city. A church has almost certainly stood on the site for over a thousand years, but it came to prominence in 1140 when Robert Fitzhardinge founded the Abbey of St Augustine. The Chapter House and Abbey Gatehouse remain clear to see, and the other remains are to be found within Bristol Cathedral School.
The eastern end of the Cathedral, especially in the choir, gives Bristol Cathedral a unique place in the development of British and European architecture. The nave, choir and aisles are all the same height, making Bristol Cathedral the major example of a hall church in Great Britain and one of the finest to be found anywhere in the world.
Bristol Cathedral is free to visit and is open to the public 365 days a year - from 8am to 6pm Monday to Saturday and 7.20am to 5pm on Sundays. Guided tours are available on Saturdays, or as arranged directly through the Chapter Clerk.
- Gift Shop
- Accessible to Wheelchair Users
- Guide Dogs Permitted
- Toilets for Disabled Visitors
- Picnic Site
- Cater for groups
- Conference facilities
- Event Venue
- Tea / Coffee Shop
- Wedding Venue
- In town/city centre
- Indoor Attraction
- Of historic, literary or architectural interest
- Open by appointment outside normal opening times
Parking & Transport
- On Bus Route
- Blue Badge Guides admitted free
Tours and Demonstrations
- Educational Visits Accepted
- Guided Tours Available for Groups
- Guided Tours Available for Individuals
- Groups Accepted
Map & Directions
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
Note: Prices are a guide only and may change on a daily basis.
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Certificate of Excellence 2019
- Very Good423
- fatfoodfreek179Place of Peace and quietnessThursday, 12th September 2019Surrounded by the lovely College Green.If you are lucky you may hear the organ being played or the choir rehearsing in the background.There is a lovley shop there and a cafe. Read full review
- 86frankietBelfast, United KingdomTrip Type:FamilyBeautiful...a highlight of our visit.Saturday, 14th September 2019The grounds of the Cathedral are beautiful but the building has over 800 years of history and is well worth a visit. Highlights for me were the Chapter House and Cloister. The garden is spectacular... Read full review
- DavidC936Telford, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesA tranquil placeSaturday, 14th September 2019Well worth a visit whist outside is bustling on a sunny day inside it is so peaceful and calm take your time to enjoy this wonderful building Read full review
Tel: +44 (0)117 926 4879
|Open (1 Jan 2019 - 31 Dec 2019)|
* The Cathedral is open 365 days each year from 8.00am until after Evensong.