Bristol’s beautiful and historic Cathedral is located on College Green in the West End of the city. A church has almost certainly stood on the site for over a thousand years, but it came to prominence in 1140 when Robert Fitzhardinge founded the Abbey of St Augustine. The Chapter House and Abbey Gatehouse remain clear to see, and the other remains are to be found within Bristol Cathedral School.
The eastern end of the Cathedral, especially in the choir, gives Bristol Cathedral a unique place in the development of British and European architecture. The nave, choir and aisles are all the same height, making Bristol Cathedral the major example of a hall church in Great Britain and one of the finest to be found anywhere in the world.
Bristol Cathedral is free to visit and is open to the public 365 days a year - from 8am to 6pm Monday to Saturday and 7.20am to 5pm on Sundays. Guided tours are available on Saturdays, or as arranged directly through the Chapter Clerk.
- Gift Shop
- Accessible to Wheelchair Users
- Guide Dogs Permitted
- Toilets for Disabled Visitors
- Picnic Site
- Cater for groups
- Conference facilities
- Event Venue
- Tea / Coffee Shop
- Wedding Venue
- In town/city centre
- Indoor Attraction
- Of historic, literary or architectural interest
- Open by appointment outside normal opening times
Parking & Transport
- On Bus Route
- Blue Badge Guides admitted free
Tours and Demonstrations
- Educational Visits Accepted
- Guided Tours Available for Groups
- Guided Tours Available for Individuals
- Groups Accepted
Map & Directions
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
Note: Prices are a guide only and may change on a daily basis.
- Certificate of Excellence 2018
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good399
- Bon444Dorchester, United KingdomTrip Type:Solo travelWarm welcome to a beautiful buildingFriday, 1st February 2019Just a few minutes walk from busy Broad Quay, Bristol is lucky to have a stunning example of an English cathedral.The fact that the vaulted ceilings of the nave, aisles and choir are the same height... Read full review
- Stephen FSouthampton, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesSimply beautifulWednesday, 13th February 2019Sadly, no Choral Evensong on the day we visited. A warm welcome as soon as we arrived, and a marvellous stroll around this beautiful working building. Lit a candle for my Dad, and was happy to make a... Read full review
- herrmann2017Shrewsbury, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesInteresting historical visit.Saturday, 16th February 2019The cathedral is an interesting visit, when in Bristol. It is a very photogenic cathedral, across the green and alongside the city halls. Read full review
Tel: +44 (0)117 926 4879
|Open (1 Jan 2019 - 31 Dec 2019)|
* The Cathedral is open 365 days each year from 8.00am until after Evensong.