Bristol’s beautiful and historic Cathedral is located on College Green in the West End of the city. A church has almost certainly stood on the site for over a thousand years, but it came to prominence in 1140 when Robert Fitzhardinge founded the Abbey of St Augustine. The Chapter House and Abbey Gatehouse remain clear to see, and the other remains are to be found within Bristol Cathedral School.
The eastern end of the Cathedral, especially in the choir, gives Bristol Cathedral a unique place in the development of British and European architecture. The nave, choir and aisles are all the same height, making Bristol Cathedral the major example of a hall church in Great Britain and one of the finest to be found anywhere in the world.
Bristol Cathedral is free to visit and is open to the public 365 days a year - from 8am to 6pm Monday to Saturday and 7.20am to 5pm on Sundays. Guided tours are available on Saturdays, or as arranged directly through the Chapter Clerk.
- Gift Shop
- Accessible to Wheelchair Users
- Guide Dogs Permitted
- Toilets for Disabled Visitors
- Picnic Site
- Cater for groups
- Conference facilities
- Event Venue
- Tea / Coffee Shop
- Wedding Venue
- In town/city centre
- Indoor Attraction
- Of historic, literary or architectural interest
- Open by appointment outside normal opening times
Parking & Transport
- On Bus Route
- Blue Badge Guides admitted free
Tours and Demonstrations
- Educational Visits Accepted
- Guided Tours Available for Groups
- Guided Tours Available for Individuals
- Groups Accepted
Map & Directions
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
Note: Prices are a guide only and may change on a daily basis.
- Certificate of Excellence 2018
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good383
- mkljrcGerrards Cross, United KingdomLovely old building Well worth a long visit.Thursday, 9th August 2018Enjoyed my time here - I could have spent longer. Plenty to see and a lovely cafe. Lots to look at the stain glass windows, the altars, the cloister etc Read full review
- Sebastian KHelsinki, FinlandTrip Type:CouplesBeautiful placeTuesday, 31st July 2018Was present for the graduation ceremonies. Cool historical building with no air conditioning (no did not expect that either). Worth a visit if you are nearby. Read full review
- Wraxall_TravellersBristol, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesPretty inside and outSunday, 29th July 2018This cathedral is on College Green. Take a good look outside before entering. It was not as big as I expected for this city but ornate. Read full review
Tel: +44 (0)117 926 4879
|Open (1 Jan 2018 - 31 Dec 2018)|
* The Cathedral is open 365 days each year from 8.00am until after Evensong.