Bristol’s beautiful and historic Cathedral is located on College Green in the West End of the city. A church has almost certainly stood on the site for over a thousand years, but it came to prominence in 1140 when Robert Fitzhardinge founded the Abbey of St Augustine. The Chapter House and Abbey Gatehouse remain clear to see, and the other remains are to be found within Bristol Cathedral School.
The eastern end of the Cathedral, especially in the choir, gives Bristol Cathedral a unique place in the development of British and European architecture. The nave, choir and aisles are all the same height, making Bristol Cathedral the major example of a hall church in Great Britain and one of the finest to be found anywhere in the world.
Bristol Cathedral is free to visit and is open to the public 365 days a year - from 8am to 6pm Monday to Saturday and 7.20am to 5pm on Sundays. Guided tours are available on Saturdays, or as arranged directly through the Chapter Clerk.
- Gift Shop
- Accessible to Wheelchair Users
- Guide Dogs Permitted
- Toilets for Disabled Visitors
- Picnic Site
- Cater for groups
- Conference facilities
- Event Venue
- Tea / Coffee Shop
- Wedding Venue
- In town/city centre
- Indoor Attraction
- Of historic, literary or architectural interest
- Open by appointment outside normal opening times
Parking & Transport
- On Bus Route
- Blue Badge Guides admitted free
Tours and Demonstrations
- Educational Visits Accepted
- Guided Tours Available for Groups
- Guided Tours Available for Individuals
- Groups Accepted
Map & Directions
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
Note: Prices are a guide only and may change on a daily basis.
- Certificate of Excellence 2018
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good388
- Sebastien GTrip Type:Solo travelA Stroll Through HistoryThursday, 27th September 2018Stumbled upon this great beauty whilst taking a stroll around the park. It’s quite a nice cathedral with quite interesting history. I had a chat with two wonderful ladies who worked there, both... Read full review
- sally mTrip Type:CouplesRoof top tourSunday, 16th September 2018We visited the cathedral during Bristol Open Doors weekend. We were lucky enough to get places on the roof top tour. The guide was incredibly knowledgeable and took us through the roof space above... Read full review
- BeeMe9Trip Type:Friends getawayEnjoyable visitSaturday, 15th September 2018I am normally not a church lover, but would always visit to admire architecture.what was different here is that I was approached at the entrance by a friendly volunteer asking for my nationality, so... Read full review
Tel: +44 (0)117 926 4879
|Open (1 Jan 2018 - 31 Dec 2018)|
* The Cathedral is open 365 days each year from 8.00am until after Evensong.