The Clifton Observatory and Caves sits above the Avon Gorge offering superb views of the Clifton Suspension Bridge and the city of Bristol.
The Observatory houses one of the only camera obscuras still open to the public in the UK. Originally built as a windmill for corn in 1766, the mill was later taken over by William West in 1828 who then converted the building into his own art studio and installed the camera obscura, which is still working today. The camera offers a panoramic view of the surrounding area including the Clifton Suspension Bridge, Avon Gorge & Clifton Downs.
During his time at the Observatory West also cut an underground passage to the Giant's Cave which was originally only accessible via the cliff face. After a short descent into the cave guests can enjoy the spectacular views along the Avon Gorge and Clifton Suspension Bridge.
The Observatory is open to visitors 7 days a week from 10am-5pm in Spring/Summer and 10am-4pm in Autumn/Winter with last entry being 15 minutes before closing time.
Map & Directions
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Certificate of Excellence 2019
- Very Good175
- ernieparryBristol, United KingdomFun on a Rainy DayFriday, 11th October 2019We went to the Observatory when we had our two primary school grandsons staying with us - that turned out to be a great idea. First we went up the building looking at displays about its history, and... Read full review
- pezianniLondon, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesCaves !!Saturday, 12th October 2019Cheap to enter. And great caves. Very steep. But good views. Only a couple pound to entry. Takes like 20 minutes in total so only a quick trip. Read full review
- SellestBushey, United KingdomWell worth a visitSunday, 13th October 2019Came here with two of my children on the last week of September and were lucky enough to have a brilliantly sunny day. When you get to the top you can enjoy great views down on to the Clifton... Read full review
Tel: +44 (0)117 974 1242
|Open (1 Jan 2019 - 31 Dec 2019)|
* Summer: April – Sept, 10:00 – 17:00
Winter: Oct – Mar, 10:00 – 16:00
(Last entry 15 minutes before close)