The Lord Mayor's Chapel (St Mark's) is the only municipally-owned church in the country. It originally served the Hospital of the Gaunts, an almonry founded about 1220 by Maurice de Gaunt, a cousin of Thomas, Lord Berkeley.
The hospital was surrendered at the Dissolution of the Monasteries, and in 1541 the Corporation purchased most of the lands that formerly belonged to it. In 1722 the Chapel became the official place of worship of the Mayor and Corporation, and has remained so ever since.
Please note that the chapel is currently closed to the general public for essential maintenance until Spring 2020.
Please contact the Lord Mayor's Office on: firstname.lastname@example.org
|Currently closed for maintenance (1 Jan 2020 - 31 Dec 2020)|