Based in Bristol’s floating harbour for much of the year, the Matthew is popular for harbour tours as well as longer sailing trips.
The Matthew is owned by The Matthew of Bristol Trust, and when in Bristol she is moored outside Bristol's M Shed museum. In June 2012 she took part in the Queen's Diamond Jubilee pageant on the River Thames, and returned to Bristol shortly afterwards.
Hop on board
The Matthew has been in Bristol for the majority of the summer, and was, as ever, a star attraction at Bristol's Harbour Festival in July. Ever popular, the Matthew provides an unrivalled platform to view the city from the water. Cruise gently past the ss Great Britain, the old dock cranes and enjoy all the water activity that makes Bristol one of Europe’s most interesting maritime cities. For tickets and dates, contact the Matthew on 0117 927 6868.
About the Matthew
The Matthew is a fabulous and faithful reconstruction of the boat used by John Cabot when he discovered Newfoundland in 1497. The stunning replica was built here in Bristol to mark the 500th anniversary of Cabot's voyage, and upon her completion she set sail to reconstruct Cabot's original journey.
On this historic journey, the Matthew followed the same course to Newfoundland as John Cabot had in 1497, carrying the same number of crew members and taking exactly the same amount of time to complete the crossing. On 24 June 1997 the replica of the Matthew was welcomed into port at Bonavista by Queen Elizabeth II.
Today, when not in Bristol Harbour, the sails are unfurled and the ship continues to explore the exciting wild seas around the British isles and Northern Europe - creating a spectacle wherever she ventures.
Map & Directions
- Certificate of Excellence 2018
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good68
- Miek194Bristol, United KingdomTrip Type:Friends getawayAmazing.Wednesday, 15th August 2018I saw this ship being brought back to bristol.amazing sight. Watched the progress of it being rebuilt.a beautiful ship.well worth the visit Read full review
- HermantheobsessiveExeter, United KingdomTrip Type:FamilyFamily gatheringSaturday, 11th August 2018We had a family gathering on the matthew today, it rained the whole time and there was not much shelter. We had agreed to a cream tea and the staff prepared scones and cakes and put them on a table... Read full review
- M LLondon, United KingdomTrip Type:Friends getawayMost unfriendly crew I’ve ever experienced...Saturday, 11th August 2018Joined The Matthew for a cream tea trip and was sorely disappointed by the unfriendly service and terrible value. Many guests on board were made to feel unwelcome and commented on the rude staff... Read full review
M Shed, Princes Wharf
26 Meredith Court
Canada Way, Bristol
Tel: +44 (0)117 927 6868
|Open (1 Jan 2018 - 31 Dec 2018)|
* Please see website for details of opening hours and cruises.