Berkeley Castle, a hidden gem in the Cotswolds. Awarded TripAdvisor's Certificate of Excellence for the last five years.
Berkeley Castle is a beautiful and historic Castle, begun in 1154 and still the home of the Berkeley family. It is a great day-out for all the family, hosting special events during school holidays and throughout the year.
The Castle, which dominates the Vale of Berkeley, is steeped in over 860 years of British history. It is best known as the scene of the brutal murder of Edward II in 1327 and for being besieged by Parliamentary troops in 1645. Over 24 generations of Berkeley’s have gradually transformed a Norman fortress into the lovely family home it is today.
The state apartments contain magnificent collections of furniture, rare paintings and English and continental tapestries. Some of the world famous Berkeley silver is on display in the Dining Room and many other rooms including the Great Hall, the Morning Room (the former mediaeval chapel, with its unique painted ceiling) and the kitchens are available to view.
The Castle is open to visitors from April – October, on selected days. Visitors can join a free guided tour of the Castle with one of the experienced Tour Guides which lasts just over an hour.
The Castle is surrounded by lovely terraced gardens with flower borders, a lily pond, Elizabeth I’s bowling green and sweeping lawns. From May-September, the visit also includes the tropical Butterfly House in the Walled Garden, which is a tranquil environment for over twenty-five different species of tropical butterflies. Garden enthusiasts can enjoy a stunning display of roses and many rare plants and flowers in Berkeley Castle’s magnificent terraced gardens in June and July with admission included within the entry cost to the Castle.
The Tea Room, also in the walled garden, serves morning coffee, light lunches and lovely cream teas. The Yurt is open from 10:30am on the same days as the Castle.
The Castle is open all year round for weddings, receptions and private hire. Also during the summer, since 2005, the University of Bristol undertake an archaeological dig in Nelme’s Paddock within the Castle Grounds. Overseen by Dr. Stuart Prior (Channel 4’s Time Team) and Prof. Mark Horton (BBC TV’s Coast), the dig has proved fascinating and now includes areas within the grounds of Dr Jenner’s House and St. Mary’s churchyard.
The Castle has also been used on many occasions for filming and has been involved in TV dramas such as The Other Boleyn Girl, Nostradamus, Dick & Dom, Father Brown, BBC 2's Wolf Hall, Poldark-series 2, 3 and 4, The White Princess and Johnny English 3. In addition Berkeley Castle has been used for documentaries such as Princes in Waiting, Great Country Houses, Dead Famous and Horse & Country TV’s epic, ‘Berkeley – An English Country Estate’.
Berkeley Castle is located in the historic town of Berkeley which is located just off the A38 between Bristol & Gloucester on the edge of the Cotswolds and is only half an hour from the city of Bristol.
For further details on any aspect of the Castle contact the House Managers on 01453 810 303, or by e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org, www.berkeley-castle.com.
- Gift Shop
- Guide Dogs Permitted
- Toilets for Disabled Visitors
- On-Site café/restaurant
- Picnic Site
- Available for wedding receptions
- Cater for groups
- Conference facilities
- Event Venue
- Licenced for civil marriages
- Printed Material in Foreign Languages - French only
- Celebrity connection
- Film or TV location
- In countryside - On the edge of Berkeley Town
- Indoor Attraction
- Of historic, literary or architectural interest
- Open by appointment outside normal opening times
- Outdoor Attraction - 9 acres of gardens to explore too. (No Dogs allowed)
Parking & Transport
- Coach Parking
- On site parking
- Blue Badge Guides admitted free
- Special group rates
- TIC Staff Admitted Free
- Family Fun
- Marketed towards families
- Marketed towards senior citizens
Tours and Demonstrations
- Educational Visits Accepted
- Guided Tours Available for Groups
- Guided Tours Available for Individuals
- Groups Accepted
- Watch the video. Click the arrow to begin
Map & Directions
- Certificate of Excellence 2018
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good184
- pasowinePaso Robles, CaliforniaTrip Type:CouplesHistoric Castle still in use - Wonderful Guided Tour!Tuesday, 30th October 2018We stopped here on our way to the Cotswolds and were not disappointed at all. This is a rather impressive Castle and Grounds, really not that far off the M5 highway at all. Plenty of parking as... Read full review
- SteviedianeWolverhampton, United KingdomTrip Type:Friends getawayVery nice day outThursday, 1st November 2018Went out for the last day of the season for a look around with a friend. We did the guided tour which I strongly recommend, our guide Linda was brilliant, she had a fantastic knowledge of the castle... Read full review
- Lisa STrip Type:FamilyWhat a wonderful place!Tuesday, 15th January 2019A lovely day out for al of the family. It really is stunning. Helpful and friendly staff make it even better! Read full review
Tel: +44 (0)1453 810303
|Castle Opening (1 Apr 2019 - 30 Oct 2019)|
|Butterfly House Opening (1 May 2019 - 30 Oct 2019)|