Berkeley Castle has re-opened, subject to Government restrictions. Please check directly on their website and/or social media channels for the latest updates.
Berkeley Castle, a hidden gem in the Cotswolds. Awarded TripAdvisor's Certificate of Excellence for the last five years.
Berkeley Castle is a beautiful and historic Castle, built in 1153 and still the home of the Berkeley family. It is a great day-out for all the family, hosting special events during school holidays and throughout the year.
The Castle, which dominates the Vale of Berkeley, is steeped in over 860 years of British history. It is best known as the scene of the brutal murder of Edward II in 1327 and for being besieged by Parliamentary troops in 1645. Over 24 generations of Berkeley’s have gradually transformed a Norman fortress into the lovely family home it is today.
The state apartments contain magnificent collections of furniture, rare paintings and English and continental tapestries. Some of the world famous Berkeley silver is on display in the Dining Room and many other rooms including the Great Hall, the Morning Room (the former mediaeval chapel, with its unique painted ceiling) and the kitchens are available to view.
The Castle is open to visitors from March – October, on selected days.
The Castle is surrounded by lovely terraced gardens with flower borders, a lily pond, Elizabeth I’s bowling green and sweeping lawns. Garden enthusiasts can enjoy a stunning display of roses and many rare plants and flowers in Berkeley Castle’s magnificent terraced gardens in June and July with admission included within the entry cost to the Castle.
Food and Drink
The Walled Garden Cafe, serves morning coffee, light lunches and lovely cream teas.
he Castle is open all year round for weddings, receptions and private hire. Also during the summer, since 2005, the University of Bristol undertake an archaeological dig in Nelme’s Paddock within the Castle Grounds. Overseen by Dr. Stuart Prior (Channel 4’s Time Team) and Prof. Mark Horton (BBC TV’s Coast), the dig has proved fascinating and now includes areas within the grounds of Dr Jenner’s House and St. Mary’s churchyard.
COVID-19: How Berkeley Castle are keeping visitors safe
During these unusual times, you can rest assured that they have put into place lots of steps to ensure that everyone is kept safe during their visit. And although you might not see it behind their protective masks, their friendly staff will be their usual smiley selves while they help everyone play their part in safe social distancing. Their precautions include:
• All tickets must be purchased online - there is a limited number of visitor slots available each day.
• There will be one-way routes in the Castle and the garden terraces, with a cap on visitors inside the Castle at any one time.
• There will be no dressing-up area, but the children’s Dragon Trail and woodland play area will be available.
• We will be operating a ‘one in-one out’ policy for the toilets, and these will be cleaned regularly throughout the day.
• There will be cashless payments for their takeaway food & drink facility to avoid unnecessary contact.
Film and TV
The Castle has also been used on many occasions for filming and has been involved in TV dramas such as The Other Boleyn Girl, Nostradamus, Dick & Dom, Father Brown, BBC 2's Wolf Hall, Poldark-series 2, 3 and 4, The White Princess and Johnny English 3. In addition Berkeley Castle has been used for documentaries such as Princes in Waiting, Great Country Houses, Dead Famous and Horse & Country TV’s epic, ‘Berkeley – An English Country Estate’.
Berkeley Castle is located in the historic town of Berkeley which is located just off the A38 between Bristol & Gloucester on the edge of the Cotswolds and is only half an hour from the city of Bristol.
For further details on any aspect of the Castle contact the House Managers on 01453 810 303, or by e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org, www.berkeley-castle.com.
Berkeley Castle offers discounted rates for groups of 20 or more. An exclusive Guided Tour with one of their experienced Castle Guides can be arranged for an additional charge. Additional Guides can be organised too. Pre-booking is required for groups to ensure that every visit is as enjoyable as possible. To book a group please download the group booking form, complete it and return to the Castle Administrator by email.
You may also like
- How Berkeley Castle are keeping visitors safe
- History of Berkeley Castle
* General Opening Text
The above times should be used as an indicator during the recovery phase from the global pandemic.
Please double-check details by visiting the website via the link above before you visit
- Visit Britain We're Good to Go 2021
- Regional and Miscellaneous WTTC Safe Travels 2021
- Gift Shop
- Guide Dogs Permitted
- Toilets for Disabled Visitors
- On-Site café/restaurant
- Picnic Site
- Available for wedding receptions
- Cater for groups
- Conference facilities
- Event Venue
- Licenced for civil marriages
- Printed Material in Foreign Languages - French only
- Celebrity connection
- Film or TV location
- In countryside - On the edge of Berkeley Town
- Indoor Attraction
- Of historic, literary or architectural interest
- Open by appointment outside normal opening times
- Outdoor Attraction - 9 acres of gardens to explore too. (No Dogs allowed)
Parking & Transport
- Coach Parking
- On site parking
- Blue Badge Guides admitted free
- Special group rates
- TIC Staff Admitted Free
- Family Fun
- Marketed towards families
- Marketed towards senior citizens
Tours and Demonstrations
- Educational Visits Accepted
- Guided Tours Available for Groups
- Guided Tours Available for Individuals
- Groups Accepted
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Travelers Choice 2021
- Very Good212
- 418amylwGloucester, United KingdomTrip Type:FamilyExcellent visitTuesday, 19th October 2021Beautiful castle with stunning grounds. Took the guided tour which was fantastic. Just over an hour and a bargain at an extra £1.50! Very interesting tour at a good pace. Highly recommend Read full review
- NC0317Leicestershire, United KingdomHistoric Berkeley CastleTuesday, 19th October 2021An excellent visit to this ancient castle lived in by members of the Berkeley family for hundreds of years. Our guide was very knowledgeable and put the information over in an engaging way. If you... Read full review
- carolyn rBanbury, United KingdomExcellent castleMonday, 25th October 2021Halloween experience with children; absolutly top class, great fun, well worth going too. Highly recommend a day out at this venue. Read full review