Arnos Vale Cemetery Trust
Tel: +44 (0)117 971 9117
The Bath Road gates are open from 9.30am until 4pm, Monday - Saturday. The Cleverchefs cafe and toilets are open from 9.30am - 3.30pm. The gates are currently closed on Sundays and Bank Holidays.
Arnos Vale is internationally recognised as one of Britain’s best examples of a Victorian garden cemetery, set in a leafy 45-acre Arcadian landscape dotted with classical buildings, historic monuments, sweeping carriage drives and leafy walks lined with wildflowers. It is a working cemetery and often described as a sanctuary of peace and tranquillity in an otherwise busy part of a bustling city.
"So beautiful, so original and so unusual that you just can’t fail to fall in love with it!" CAIO (The online guide for world travellers)
Their income has been hugely hit by the Coronavirus pandemic and they are working hard to look after this magical site for visitors, the team and all the volunteers that have helped over the years. Entry is free, however they welcome donations.
Cleverchefs are the cafe operators at Arnos Vale. Providing a beautiful range of handcrafted food for weddings as well as in the cafe and covered patio area.
If wildlife is your thing, then Arnos Vale reveals wildlife surprises throughout the year; flowers, fauna, trees, creatures and critters. Arnos Vale is not simply an important site for biodiversity in itself. It is also a vital steppingstone in Bristol’s wildlife corridors, connecting wildlife separated by roads and buildings, foxes, badgers, owls and bats. Horse chestnut trees, oak, Irish yews, Austrian pines, Western red cedar, Chilean pine, Himalayan cedar, English yews, weeping ash and shrubs such as cherry laurel, Japanese spindle and box. In the woodland areas you will find primroses, wild garlic, lady’s smock, goldilocks buttercup and many other plants, including some rare national species such as ivy broomrape. With ever-changing scenery and landscape there is always something new to discover.
The two Grade II* Listed buildings are ideal for wedding ceremonies and receptions. The Anglican Chapel is available for Anglican Ceremonies and the Spielman Centre is registered for Civil Partnerships and Ceremonies. Arnos Vale even offer woodland weddings in the Underwood Centre where you can have an unusual and laid-back wedding ceremony and celebration in the heart of the site. With their on-site catering company, they can cater for any wedding reception from a simple ceremony to sumptuous banquets. Either historic venue can be arranged for receptions, parties and celebrations making Arnos Vale an all-inclusive venue.
The venues are currently available for weddings, meetings, funerals or celebrations of life.
For up to date opening times and to catch up with their latest news go to their website, or follow them on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.
|Open (1 Jan 2021 - 31 Dec 2021)|
The above times should be used as an indicator during the recovery phase from the global pandemic.
Please double-check details by visiting the website via the link above before you visit
- All Areas Accessible to Disabled Visitors
- Conference facilities
- Event Venue
- Open All Year
- Outdoor Attraction
Parking & Transport
- On site parking - limited
Tours and Demonstrations
- Educational Visits Accepted
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Travelers Choice 2020
- Very Good143
- priceylad30Bristol, United KingdomThe perfect place to unwindWednesday, 19th February 2020This is one of bristol treasures, full of history,wildlife and wonderful trees. You can walk a different path every day. Lovely cafe, though can be slow to serve when busy. For children there are... Read full review
- 34PatrickBBristol, United KingdomPeaceful contemplative retreatTuesday, 28th July 2020Such a peaceful and secluded space right in the heart of Bristol. There are so many peaceful spots to sit and contemplate or talk where you may never bump into another person. Some lovely views over... Read full review
- rae_evansBristol, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesSecond lockdownMonday, 9th November 2020We live locally and often visit this beautiful cemetery for a stroll. The cemetery was open on Sunday, during the second lockdown. However, the cafe is closed (contrary to the information available... Read full review