Clifton Suspension Bridge Visitor Centre
Tel: +44 (0)117 974 4664
The Visitor Centre is currently open from Friday to Monday each week throughout the winter. Visitor numbers are being carefully managed and tickets are strictly limited, so it is recommended that you book for the Visitor Centre in advance (the bridge is always open free of charge to all pedestrians and no pre-booking is required to cross).
Brunel’s world famous Clifton Suspension Bridge is the symbol of Bristol – but how and why was it built? Cross the Avon Gorge 75 metres above the high tide mark and find out why the design of the Bridge changed so many times, how daredevil bridge builders managed to get the suspension chains from one side to the other, the impressive secret discovered 140 years after the bridge first opened - and what the mysterious Latin inscription ‘Suspensa Vix Via Fit’ really means.
The Visitor Information Centre is situated at the Leigh Woods end of the bridge. It contains information about the competition to design the bridge, its construction and completion and how it is maintained today. See objects from our collection (including stereoscopic images and original souvenirs) and browse the shop, where you'll find books, postcards and souvenirs.
|Open (1 Jan 2020 - 31 Dec 2020)|
The above times should be used as an indicator during the recovery phase from the global pandemic.
Please double-check details by visiting the website via the link above before you visit
- Visit Britain We're Good to Go 2020
- Accessible to Wheelchair Users
- All Areas Accessible to Disabled Visitors
- Guide Dogs Permitted
- Parking Areas for Disabled Visitors
- Ramp/Level Access
- Cater for groups
- Printed Material in Foreign Languages
- Toilets - Clifton side, 50m from toll booth.
- Celebrity connection
- Film or TV location
- In town/city centre
- Of historic, literary or architectural interest
- Open by appointment outside normal opening times
- Outdoor Attraction
Parking & Transport
- On Bus Route
Tours and Demonstrations
- Educational Visits Accepted
- Guided Tours Available for Groups
- Guided Tours Available for Individuals
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Travelers Choice 2020
- Very Good78
- baz653London, United Kingdombeautiful bridge from brunelWednesday, 23rd September 2020this is a must see when coming to bristol its amazing to actually think how this was built across the avon and being so high up cars pay one pound to cross it .some people were actually climbing up... Read full review
- 71CrawleyCrawley, United KingdomSmall but InformativeThursday, 24th September 2020We visited Bristol specifically to see the Clifton Suspension Bridge and it didn’t disappoint. A truly magnificent feat of engineering and a must see for anyone visiting Bristol. The visitor centre... Read full review
- SedentarywalkerSmall but perfectly formed!Monday, 26th October 2020We visited in the week that the centre re-opened following the Covid closure. There were careful restrictions in place, including disinfected styluses that we could use to enjoy the interactive bits... Read full review