Situated on the historic Harbourside, M Shed is the history museum of Bristol that tells the story of our city.
The 1950s transit shed, originally called M Shed, on Bristol’s historic wharf has been transformed into a museum. Thought-provoking and fun, M Shed challenges the perceptions of what it has meant to live here over the centuries through the recollections of the people who shaped the city.
M Shed explores the city’s history from prehistoric times to the 21st century. Stories about the city and its people have been discovered through working with experts and communities across the city – a process that will continue for the life of the museum. Rich collections of objects, art and archives also play an important part in bringing those stories to life.
There are also working exhibits on the harbourside including steamboats, trains and cranes as well as a new café that opens out onto a public square on the dockside.
M Shed is a new kind of museum, one that challenges traditional ideas. It works with the people of Bristol to create displays which make everyone want to come and see. It is a living museum, where the stories of the past spark discussions about the future.
M Shed is free to the public. Visit and you can explore over 2000 years of Bristol’s history, access over 150 restored and digitalised films and uncover Bristol’s trading past and its role in the transatlantic slave trade. Explore the city’s war-time experiences, industrial heritage and engineering history. Discover things made in Bristol from its music and art to industry and technology, see over 3000 objects from the city’s museum and archive collections including favourites from the Industrial Museum. Come and enjoy a programme of local, national and international exhibitions.
- Gift Shop
- All Areas Accessible to Disabled Visitors
- Guide Dogs Permitted
- Ramp/Level Access
- Toilets for Disabled Visitors
- On-Site café/restaurant
- Conference facilities
- Dogs Accepted - Guide Dogs only
- Wedding Venue
- In town/city centre
- Indoor Attraction
- Family Fun
- Marketed towards families
- Marketed towards senior citizens
- Marketed towards student/youth
Tours and Demonstrations
- Educational Visits Accepted
- Guided Tours Available for Groups
Map & Directions
- Certificate of Excellence 2018
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good569
- Dave250570East Sussex, United KingdomTrip Type:FamilyM Shed CafeSaturday, 5th January 2019A super little cafe offering a variety of 'different' freshly made cakes, sandwiches and warm light snacks in an interactive museum illustrating the history of industrial innovation and creation in... Read full review
- jonescolette2005Derby, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesVisit to the attraction and cafeSunday, 6th January 2019Busy buzzing atmosphere. Great shop with local goods. Local artists. Visit to the exhibition was easy to do. Lots of information well laid out. Children enjoyed the activities Cafe had a great... Read full review
- Tilly MTrip Type:Friends getawayBirthday partyTuesday, 15th January 2019Excellent time for a party gathering. Enjoyed the 2 for 1 cocktails, excellent price and lovely choice. Atmosphere was great and lovely to look outside Read full review
Tel: +44 (0)117 352 6600
- Bristol Tourism & Hospitality Award Large Attraction of the Year Winner 2013 2014
|Open (1 Jan 2019 - 31 Dec 2019)|
* Bank Holiday Mondays and Mondays during Bristol school holidays: 10am-5pm.Dates and times marked with a '*' are provisional and may be subject to change