Situated on the historic Harbourside, M Shed is the history museum of Bristol that tells the story of our city.
Learn about Bristol's history
The 1950s transit shed, originally called M Shed, on Bristol’s historic wharf has been transformed into a museum. Thought-provoking and fun, M Shed challenges the perceptions of what it has meant to live here over the centuries through the recollections of the people who shaped the city.
M Shed explores the city’s history from prehistoric times to the 21st century. Stories about the city and its people have been discovered through working with experts and communities across the city – a process that will continue for the life of the museum. Rich collections of objects, art and archives also play an important part in bringing those stories to life.
There are also working exhibits on the harbourside including steamboats, trains and cranes as well as a new café that opens out onto a public square on the dockside.
M Shed is a new kind of museum, one that challenges traditional ideas. It works with the people of Bristol to create displays which make everyone want to come and see. It is a living museum, where the stories of the past spark discussions about the future.
Free day out for everyone
M Shed is free to the public. Visit and you can explore over 2000 years of Bristol’s history, access over 150 restored and digitalised films and uncover Bristol’s trading past and its role in the transatlantic slave trade. Explore the city’s war-time experiences, industrial heritage and engineering history. Discover things made in Bristol from its music and art to industry and technology, see over 3000 objects from the city’s museum and archive collections including favourites from the Industrial Museum. Come and enjoy a programme of local, national and international exhibitions.
You may also like
|Season (1 Jan 2023 - 31 Dec 2023)|
- Bristol Tourism & Hospitality Award Large Attraction of the Year Winner 2013 2014
- Regional and Miscellaneous WTTC Safe Travels 2021
- Gift Shop
- All Areas Accessible to Disabled Visitors
- Guide Dogs Permitted
- Ramp/Level Access
- Toilets for Disabled Visitors
- On-Site café/restaurant
- Conference facilities
- Dogs-Accepted - Guide Dogs only
- Wedding Venue
- In town/city centre
- Indoor Attraction
- Family Fun
- Marketed towards families
- Marketed towards senior citizens
- Marketed towards student/youth
Tours and Demonstrations
- Educational Visits Accepted
- Guided Tours Available for Groups
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good674
- trippertopperColchester, United KingdomGreat museum; ruined by the cafeSunday, 22nd October 2023Great free museum, ruined by terrible service at the cafe. Ordered a few packets of crisps and drinks from the fridge and we waited over 20 minutes in a relatively empty cafe. The person at the... Read full review
- Quest55636071080Trip Type:Solo travelM shed great place lots to do and away from bicycles trying to run you overSaturday, 4th November 2023Great place to visit , layout was a little weird as no directions given so you just kind of wander about and find stuff . But lots to see Read full review
- TravelswithkatieSevenoaks, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesA MUST DO IN BRISTOL AND ITS FREE!Sunday, 12th November 2023If you're in Bristol you must must must go visit the M shed. The museum is all about the history of Bristol and there truly is everything in there. We went in one day not long before closing and... Read full review