Situated on the historic Harbourside, M Shed is the history museum of Bristol that tells the story of our city.
The 1950s transit shed, originally called M Shed, on Bristol’s historic wharf has been transformed into a museum. Thought-provoking and fun, M Shed challenges the perceptions of what it has meant to live here over the centuries through the recollections of the people who shaped the city.
M Shed explores the city’s history from prehistoric times to the 21st century. Stories about the city and its people have been discovered through working with experts and communities across the city – a process that will continue for the life of the museum. Rich collections of objects, art and archives also play an important part in bringing those stories to life.
There are also working exhibits on the harbourside including steamboats, trains and cranes as well as a new café that opens out onto a public square on the dockside.
M Shed is a new kind of museum, one that challenges traditional ideas. It works with the people of Bristol to create displays which make everyone want to come and see. It is a living museum, where the stories of the past spark discussions about the future.
M Shed is free to the public. Visit and you can explore over 2000 years of Bristol’s history, access over 150 restored and digitalised films and uncover Bristol’s trading past and its role in the transatlantic slave trade. Explore the city’s war-time experiences, industrial heritage and engineering history. Discover things made in Bristol from its music and art to industry and technology, see over 3000 objects from the city’s museum and archive collections including favourites from the Industrial Museum. Come and enjoy a programme of local, national and international exhibitions.
- Gift Shop
- All Areas Accessible to Disabled Visitors
- Guide Dogs Permitted
- Ramp/Level Access
- Toilets for Disabled Visitors
- On-Site café/restaurant
- Conference facilities
- Dogs Accepted - Guide Dogs only
- Wedding Venue
- In town/city centre
- Indoor Attraction
- Family Fun
- Marketed towards families
- Marketed towards senior citizens
- Marketed towards student/youth
Tours and Demonstrations
- Educational Visits Accepted
- Guided Tours Available for Groups
Map & Directions
- Certificate of Excellence 2018
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good552
- Debbie ATrip Type:CouplesGreat areaTuesday, 18th September 2018I stayed in an apartment next to M Shed. Cool area, on the Wharf, very walkable with shops and great restaurants. Read full review
- comfy2Hampshire, United KingdomTrip Type:BusinessConference venue good viewsSaturday, 15th September 2018Came here for a conference rather than exhibition. Good acoustics and AV in hall and lovely views of harbour from the Vere day above. Read full review
- Jasmine CBury St Edmunds, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesGreat attraction!Friday, 14th September 2018My partner and i loved visiting the M Shed! It was free, fun and interactive, with something there for everyone. We particularly enjoyed the music exhibition that was on at the time, and the floor... Read full review
Tel: +44 (0)117 352 6600
- Bristol Tourism & Hospitality Award Large Attraction of the Year Winner 2013 2014
|Open (1 Jan 2018 - 31 Dec 2018)|
* Bank Holiday Mondays and Mondays during Bristol school holidays: 10am-5pm.Dates and times marked with a '*' are provisional and may be subject to change