Afrika Eye presents an expanded celebration of African arts, cinema and culture for its 14th annual edition, including 100th birthday tributes to Nelson Mandela, the best new and classic films from and about Africa, live performances, have-a-go workshops and the outcomes of a Bristol/Senegal creative exchange.
The festival’s centre-piece will still be a full weekend of film screenings, Q&As and topical discussions at Watershed, Canons Road, Harbourside, Bristol - happening this year from Friday 9 to Sunday 11 November and opening with a launch party featuring live music from southern Africa. But Afrika Eye 2018 will offer more events on offer either side of the Watershed weekend, including:
- Feast For Mandela, a 100th birthday celebration combining African food, live performance and film at Arnolfini, Narrow Quay, Bristol, on 4 November
- Singing and spoken word workshops aboard a Bristol ferry with vocalist Sisanda Myataza (Eastern Cape, South Africa) and Bristol’s current City Poet Vanessa Kisuule
- A ferry boat screening of Vanishing Sails, a film about the lost art of Guyanese boat-building
- Master-classes in school and community venues of the vibrant South African township dance form, pantsula
- Southern African music workshops for local schools
- Film and festival workshops for young creatives, in partnership with the University of Bristol
- Más Morena: an exhibition of photographs by Javier Hirschfeld featuring the Senegalese women of Gorée Island
- A day of school screenings and discussions in partnership with Into Film Festival.
Another new feature will be Afrika Eye’s involvement with the British Council-funded project, Our City – Your Eyes, enabling exchange residencies for young creatives from Bristol and Dakar in Senegal. This will result in Afrika Eye welcoming two Senegalese creatives to the festival plus showcases of the first outcomes of work done by Bristol-based rapper and music producer Joel Douglas (Splitz P) and young filmmaker Pierre Nyongira during their visit to Senegal in September.
Times, venues & prices vary.
Map & Directions
Tel: +44 1179 275100
|Dates: (4 Nov 2018 - 12 Nov 2018)|