The Royal West of England Academy (RWA), England’s only regional Royal Academy of Art, is Bristol's finest art gallery. Its magnificent Grade 2* listed building hosts five naturally-lit galleries acclaimed as one of the best exhibition spaces in the country. Its lively programme of exhibitions celebrate the best of historic and contemporary British art, including artists from Turner and Constable to Fedden and Nash, and work by its own Academicians, who include some of the country’s leading artists.
It also stages an annual Open exhibition, which is one of the largest Open Submission exhibitions in the UK and has been a major date in the artistic calendar of the region for over 160 years.
To make your visit complete, the Epiphany café serves delicious snacks and lunches, and there is also a small gift shop.
The RWA is a registered museum, with Queen Elizabeth II as its lead patron. An independent Charity, it receives no major core funding from local or national government, so there is a modest entry charge.
- Gift Shop
- Accessible to Wheelchair Users
Children & Infants
- Facilities for children
- Cater for groups
- Event venue
- Celebrity connection
- Film or TV location
- Indoor Attraction
- Of historic, literary or architectural interest
Parking & Transport
- On Bus Route
Map & Directions
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good30
- FinnsailorBristolTrip Type:FamilyChanges being madeSaturday, 29th December 2018Hopefully now passing through a very poor patch of time and shows. The decor looks tired and not well maintained but there is evidence of attempts to improve. As a gallery the rooms have been... Read full review
- len_green50Somerton, United KingdomTrip Type:Solo travelArtistic IntegrityWednesday, 13th February 2019This is an old building with lots of Art history but is being kept alive by amazingly well curated exhibitions of Contemporary Art. It may not have the budget of the RA in London but their current... Read full review
- Judith AExmouth, United KingdomTrip Type:Solo travelExcellent exhibition, great cafe, and brilliant workshopSunday, 3rd March 2019Had a great day visiting the RWA. The current exhibition, Albert Irvin, (ended today) was good. And the workshop I did on “The surface of water” was outstanding: as was my lunch in the cafe. I’ve... Read full review
Tel: +44 (0)117 973 5129
|Open (1 Jan 2019 - 31 Dec 2019)|
* Last admission half an hour before closing
Closed 25, 26 December & 1 January