The Royal West of England Academy (RWA), England’s only regional Royal Academy of Art, is Bristol's finest art gallery. Its magnificent Grade 2* listed building hosts five naturally-lit galleries acclaimed as one of the best exhibition spaces in the country. Its lively programme of exhibitions celebrate the best of historic and contemporary British art, including artists from Turner and Constable to Fedden and Nash, and work by its own Academicians, who include some of the country’s leading artists.
It also stages an annual Open exhibition, which is one of the largest Open Submission exhibitions in the UK and has been a major date in the artistic calendar of the region for over 160 years.
To make your visit complete, the Epiphany café serves delicious snacks and lunches, and there is also a small gift shop.
The RWA is a registered museum, with Queen Elizabeth II as its lead patron. An independent Charity, it receives no major core funding from local or national government, so there is a modest entry charge.
- Gift Shop
- Accessible to Wheelchair Users
Children & Infants
- Facilities for children
- Cater for groups
- Event venue
- Celebrity connection
- Film or TV location
- Indoor Attraction
- Of historic, literary or architectural interest
Parking & Transport
- On Bus Route
Map & Directions
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Certificate of Excellence 2019
- Very Good31
- Judith AExmouth, United KingdomTrip Type:Solo travelExcellent exhibition, great cafe, and brilliant workshopSunday, 3rd March 2019Had a great day visiting the RWA. The current exhibition, Albert Irvin, (ended today) was good. And the workshop I did on “The surface of water” was outstanding: as was my lunch in the cafe. I’ve... Read full review
- Carolyn SLydbrook, United KingdomTrip Type:Solo travelGreat gallery space, and fab cafeSaturday, 23rd March 2019i went here to catch the last day of the Albert Irwin exhibition and to see what this venue, which seems to be showing some imaginative exhibitions at the moment, was like. The academy is just a... Read full review
- rosslynd2Trip Type:Friends getawayPrivate view for sculpture openWednesday, 27th March 2019Really interesting range of work in a stunning building. Something for all tastes and in a very wide variety of media. Well worth a visit and on until June 2019 Read full review
Tel: +44 (0)117 973 5129
|Open (1 Jan 2019 - 31 Dec 2019)|
* Last admission half an hour before closing
Closed 25, 26 December & 1 January