Royal West of England Academy
Tel: +44 (0)117 973 5129
The RWA is delighted to have reopened. The gallery will be open Thursdays - Saturdays only from 11am-3pm in two slots. RWA have configured the gallery to offer a safe, socially distanced experience for everyone. Bookings are available via an online booking platform. Visit their website for more information.
The Royal West of England Academy (RWA), England’s only regional Royal Academy of Art, is Bristol's finest art gallery. Its magnificent Grade 2* listed building hosts five naturally-lit galleries acclaimed as one of the best exhibition spaces in the country. Its lively programme of exhibitions celebrate the best of historic and contemporary British art, including artists from Turner and Constable to Fedden and Nash, and work by its own Academicians, who include some of the country’s leading artists.
It also stages an annual Open exhibition, which is one of the largest Open Submission exhibitions in the UK and has been a major date in the artistic calendar of the region for over 160 years.
To make your visit complete, the Epiphany café serves delicious snacks and lunches, and there is also a small gift shop.
The RWA is a registered museum, with Queen Elizabeth II as its lead patron. An independent Charity, it receives no major core funding from local or national government, so there is a modest entry charge.
|Open (1 Jan 2020 - 31 Dec 2020)|
The above times should be used as an indicator during the recovery phase from the global pandemic.
Please double-check details by visiting the website via the link above before you visit
- Visit Britain We're Good to Go 2020
- Gift Shop
- Accessible to Wheelchair Users
Children & Infants
- Facilities for children
- Cater for groups
- Event venue
- Celebrity connection
- Film or TV location
- Indoor Attraction
- Of historic, literary or architectural interest
Parking & Transport
- On Bus Route
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good33
- futtock21London, United KingdomTrip Type:Solo travelBristol’s first art gallerySaturday, 13th July 2019Just a short distance from Bristol’s Museum and Art Gallery is the Royal West of England Academy the UK’s only regional Royal Academy of Art. In common with the R.A. its academicians are elected. It... Read full review
- chrismB7291QATrip Type:CouplesPoor exhibitions but nice building.Friday, 10th January 2020Hard to review an art gallery as the exhibitions change however January's offerings were poor. Good things. Staff friendly, building nice and cafe good. Poor things. The exhibitions the art seemed... Read full review
- LaurieStorySanta Monica, CaliforniaGreat Art - Lots of Local ArtistsWednesday, 12th February 2020William Turner, an English Romantic painter known for his imaginative landscapes and stormy marine paintings visited the Bristol area often and is a founding member of the RWA. Lots of interesting... Read full review