The Royal West of England Academy (RWA), England’s only regional Royal Academy of Art, is Bristol's finest art gallery. Its magnificent Grade 2* listed building hosts five naturally-lit galleries acclaimed as one of the best exhibition spaces in the country. Its lively programme of exhibitions celebrate the best of historic and contemporary British art, including artists from Turner and Constable to Fedden and Nash, and work by its own Academicians, who include some of the country’s leading artists.
It also stages an annual Open exhibition, which is one of the largest Open Submission exhibitions in the UK and has been a major date in the artistic calendar of the region for over 160 years.
To make your visit complete, the Epiphany café serves delicious snacks and lunches, and there is also a small gift shop.
The RWA is a registered museum, with Queen Elizabeth II as its lead patron. An independent Charity, it receives no major core funding from local or national government, so there is a modest entry charge.
- Gift Shop
- Accessible to Wheelchair Users
Children & Infants
- Facilities for children
- Cater for groups
- Event venue
- Celebrity connection
- Film or TV location
- Indoor Attraction
- Of historic, literary or architectural interest
Parking & Transport
- On Bus Route
Map & Directions
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good27
- Charles JGlasgow, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesGreat venue, great exhibitionThursday, 13th September 2018This is a super venue. We caught the final day of an exhibition called 'in relation' which was superb. The Epiphany Cafe is excellent. Well worth visiting. Read full review
- JimmyL2159Trip Type:CouplesGreat exhibition on African fabrics!Wednesday, 22nd August 2018The building is amazing and the content is great! However, it does not hold the comparison with the great London museums. Read full review
- JannerblokeDevonTrip Type:Solo travelImpressive building and content.Sunday, 19th August 2018Have mixed feelings/memories of this building having sat exams in here four decades ago but was pleased to return and particularly impressed by the content and display of the free to view art. Well... Read full review
Tel: +44 (0)117 973 5129
|Open (1 Jan 2018 - 31 Dec 2018)|
* Last admission half an hour before closing
Closed 25, 26 December & 1 January