Westonbirt, The National Arboretum, managed by the Forestry Commission, is one of the finest collections of temperate trees and shrubs in the world.
The 600 acre arboretum is home to 3,000 different species of trees and around 15,000 individual specimens. A place of environmental and historical importance, its Victorian creator Robert Holford was fascinated by rare and beautiful plants and helped finance expeditions to collect specimens from around the world.
Westonbirt is known internationally for its spectacular autumn colour display, but offers an unforgettable day out all year round, from magnificent flowering trees in spring, to sculptural and bright-stemmed specimens in winter.
STIHL Treetop Walkway
Experience a birds-eye view of Westonbirt's wonderful trees on the STIHL Treetop Walkway. 300 metres in length and gradually rising to a height of 13 metres above ground, there's something to see every season from this amazing elevated viewpoint. The main walkway is step-free, making it accessible to those using mobility scooters, wheelchairs, pushchairs and dogs on leads. Access to the walkway is included in admission.
Activities throughout the year
Events, workshops and family activities run throughout the year. Signature events include Treefest in August and the spectacular Enchanted Christmas illuminated trail in November and December.
There are 17 miles of paths throughout the arboretum and dozens of leafy glades with levels of accessibility to suit a range of visitors. Free weekend guided walks led by knowledgeable volunteers are available from Easter to October, and you can fire your children’s imaginations with an adventure into the trees along our play trail.
There are mobility scooters and manual wheelchairs available to borrow (it is advisable to book these in advance), special group rates on request and retail and refreshment opportunities onsite.
Westonbirt has a huge area, Silk Wood, for you and your dog to explore. The Old Arboretum and the Christopher Mitchell Information Centre are dog-free zones.
Summer at Westonbirt
Westonbirt is the perfect place in which to escape from hot weather, green leafy rides and secluded glades providing cool refreshment from the sun.
Over the August Bank Holiday weekend you can enjoy Treefest - watch as carvers take inspiration from nature to create large wooden sculptures, listen to local live music, see traditional woodcraft and woodland skills, meet local food producers and watch live arena demonstrations.
Autumn at Westonbirt
Autumn is a fabulous time of year at Westonbirt and wherever you go, the natural firework display of colours is superb. Pick up your autumn trail map from the Welcome Building to find the best of the season's offering.
A spectacular one mile illuminated trail, highlighting the striking structures of Westonbirt’s trees as they are lit up against the night sky. Crafts, gifts and festive family fun also greet visitors to Westonbirt’s Enchanted Christmas event. The event runs on Friday, Saturday and Sunday evenings from the last weekend in November until the weekend before Christmas.
Tags: Westonbirt Arboretum
- Gift Shop
- Accessible to Wheelchair Users
- All Areas Accessible to Disabled Visitors - Some woodland paths are not suitable for wheelchair users.
- Facilities for the Disabled
- Guide Dogs Permitted
- Parking Areas for Disabled Visitors
- Ramp/Level Access
- Toilets for Disabled Visitors
- Childrens Play Area
- Plant Sales
- On-Site café/restaurant
- Picnic Site
Children & Infants
- Facilities for children
- Available for wedding receptions
- Conference facilities
- Dogs Accepted
- Event venue
- Tea / Coffee Shop
- Wedding Venue
- Approx length of visit - 2.5 hours
- Forest Location
- In countryside
- Outdoor Attraction
Parking & Transport
- Car parking
- Coach Parking
- On Bus Route
- Special group rates
- Family Fun
- Marketed towards families
- Marketed towards senior citizens
Tours and Demonstrations
- Educational Visits Accepted
- Guided Tours Available for Groups
- Groups Accepted - Please enquire for further details
Map & Directions
- Certificate of Excellence 2018
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good588
- Lorraine vTrip Type:CouplesAmazing treetop walk, great for kidsSunday, 23rd September 2018You can spend quite a few hours here just walking around and admiring the amazing trees. The treetop walk is great and designed for young visitors with just enough activities and information to keep... Read full review
- Greg FHereford, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesStunning Autumn coloursTuesday, 25th September 2018Some 4 years since last visit and a lot has changed with a new car park, entry and information point and a treetop walk. Autumn colours within such a well maintained park does make it very special... Read full review
- Richard HTetbury, United KingdomTrip Type:Solo travelTruly MagicalWednesday, 26th September 2018It is difficult to find the words to describe how truly beautiful this place is. There are so many different species of tree that it is nigh-on impossible to list them. But suffice it to say, you... Read full review
Tel: +44 (0)300 067 4890
|Open (1 Jan 2018 - 31 Dec 2018)|
* Westonbirt is open 364 days of the year for you to enjoy.
March - November: 9am - 4.30pm
December - February: 9am - 4pm
Last admission 4.30pm