Westonbirt, The National Arboretum
Tel: +44 (0)300 067 4890
Westonbirt, The National Aboretum's forests is open to visitors, subject to Government restrictions. Please check directly on their website and/or social media channels for the latest updates.
In order to visit the National Arboretum, visitors and members of the Friends of Westonbirt Arboretum must pre-book a ticket. Tickets go on sale 7 days in advance.
Westonbirt, The National Arboretum, managed by the Forestry Commission, is one of the finest collections of temperate trees and shrubs in the world.
The 600 acre arboretum is home to 3,000 different species of trees and around 15,000 individual specimens. A place of environmental and historical importance, its Victorian creator Robert Holford was fascinated by rare and beautiful plants and helped finance expeditions to collect specimens from around the world.
Westonbirt is known internationally for its spectacular autumn colour display, but offers an unforgettable day out all year round, from magnificent flowering trees in spring, to sculptural and bright-stemmed specimens in winter.
Activities throughout the year
- Events, workshops and family activities run throughout the year. Signature events include the spectacular Enchanted Christmas illuminated trail in November and December.
- There are 17 miles of paths throughout the arboretum and dozens of leafy glades with levels of accessibility to suit a range of visitors.
- There are mobility scooters and manual wheelchairs available to borrow (it is advisable to book these in advance), special group rates on request and retail and refreshment opportunities onsite.
- Westonbirt has a huge area, Silk Wood, for you and your dog to explore. The Old Arboretum and the Christopher Mitchell Information Centre are dog-free zones.
Gruffalo Sculptures - If you venture into the deep dark wood you may bump into the Gruffalo, the Gruffalo's Child and other characters from the book too!
Summer at Westonbirt
Westonbirt is the perfect place in which to escape from hot weather, green leafy rides and secluded glades providing cool refreshment from the sun.
You may also like
|Open (1 Jan 2021 - 31 Dec 2021)|
* Westonbirt is open 364 days of the year for you to enjoy.
March - November: 9am - 4.30pm
December - February: 9am - 4pm
Last admission 4.30pm
The above times should be used as an indicator during the recovery phase from the global pandemic.
Please double-check details by visiting the website via the link above before you visit
- Gift Shop
- Accessible to Wheelchair Users
- All Areas Accessible to Disabled Visitors - Some woodland paths are not suitable for wheelchair users.
- Facilities for Disabled Visitors
- Guide Dogs Permitted
- Parking Areas for Disabled Visitors
- Ramp/Level Access
- Toilets for Disabled Visitors
- Childrens Play Area
- Plant Sales
- On-Site café/restaurant
- Picnic Site
Children & Infants
- Facilities for children
- Available for wedding receptions
- Conference facilities
- Dogs Accepted
- Event venue
- Tea / Coffee Shop
- Wedding Venue
- Approx length of visit - 2.5 hours
- Forest Location
- In countryside
- Outdoor Attraction
Parking & Transport
- Car parking
- Coach Parking
- On Bus Route
- Special group rates
- Family Fun
- Marketed towards families
- Marketed towards senior citizens
Tours and Demonstrations
- Educational Visits Accepted
- Guided Tours Available for Groups
- Groups Accepted - Please enquire for further details
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good692
- 1chooseyladyHerne Bay, United KingdomDidnt get here last year when we visited the area so came backSunday, 17th October 2021We stayed in in the area last year but didn't get to the Arboretum so decided we would make sure this time we would book and visit really worth a visit ended up walking 5hrs such colours and such... Read full review
- now_i_wonderBerkshire, United KingdomA Fantastic, Colourful day at WestonbirtSunday, 17th October 2021We had the pleasure of visiting Westonbirt on a lovely sunny Sunday in October, where the soft, raking light made the colourful leaves and vistas jewel-like. It's been a while since we last visited... Read full review
- jiflemon49Herne Bay, United KingdomAmazing DayMonday, 18th October 2021Cant speak more highly of this place, staff were great in pointing us to the best colour, spent many hours here, beautiful. Read full review